UDK Lightmass texel padding question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UDK Lightmass texel padding question

Is there a way to adjust the lightmass texel pading beyond its auto generated 1 texel padding?

seems i have shadow pixels bleeding onto the frontal faces on cubes placed side by side.

I have my shadow maps set to 1024 x 1024,

My UV unwrap islands are not hanging half way over pixels, and have 8 pixels spacing between the islands on a 1024 x 1024 patern in 3ds max uv map unwrap tool.
    but still get this anoying bleed!

I'm not sure, but maybe 8 pixels isn't enough to stop bleeding on lightmaps. I watched a tut on youtube for unwrapping and lightmapping a TV, and he had a lot more space between the lightmap islands, he just shrank down each island to about 50%. The UV map however, had hardly any unused space, he crammed every island in as much as possible.

Im pretty new to UV'ing anyway, I've just got to the stage where I feel comfortable with pretty much any unwrapping job, as long as the mesh uses only one UV map/texture (havent figured out multi-texture objects yet, Im guessing you have to use "multi-sub object maps" and setup different material ID's)

Comment

Originally posted by shuriken88 View Post
      I'm not sure, but maybe 8 pixels isn't enough to stop bleeding on lightmaps. I watched a tut on youtube for unwrapping and lightmapping a TV, and he had a lot more space between the lightmap islands, he just shrank down each island to about 50%. The UV map however, had hardly any unused space, he crammed every island in as much as possible.

Im pretty new to UV'ing anyway, I've just got to the stage where I feel comfortable with pretty much any unwrapping job, as long as the mesh uses only one UV map/texture (havent figured out multi-texture objects yet, Im guessing you have to use "multi-sub object maps" and setup different material ID's)
      Yeah this model is set up using 2 UV maps. 1 for diffuse, spec, normal ect ect.
      than the second UV is the unwrap (pictured above) is for shadows, guess I'll have to shrink the islands down a bit than? >__<

Edit: Just tried shrinking the islands down substantially however, same result.
      I'm really hoping that there is a padding option in UDK somewhere,
      looking for something similar to Max's texture bake padding, where you can extend the edge pixel color outward.

Comment

Also here http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/LightMapUnwrapping.html it says.

Padding between UV charts is necessary to prevent bleeding artifacts. Padding around the edges of the lightmap UV layout, however, is not necessary as Lightmass automatically pads by one texel to prevent bleeding artifcats. In general, 4 lightmap texels of padding are necessary to avoid all artifacts.

however i can not find any info on how to set it up to something like 4 texels....

Comment

Out of curiosity, what setting are you using when you build lighting? Preview will often give you nasty edges and bleed over as opposed to Production.

Comment

Yeah production still gives some bleed over seams

Comment

Working...
            X