Dynamic shadows stop moving?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dynamic shadows stop moving?

I got a ferris wheel finished for my level. I rigged it and animated it to constantly spin. The problem I'm having is that when I'm walking past it but don't look at it, it's shadow will just stop moving.

Is there a way to constantly allow the shadow to move (aka keep the ferris wheel turning when I'm not looking at it)? It's very odd to walk over the shadow and see it suddenly stop.

Yea this is one of those annoying problems with UDK & UE3 that I've never been able to fix. I just dont think the engine is equipped to handle true dynamic light like engines such as Cryengine, or the STALKER engine. Even the Silent Hill 2 engine from like 10 years ago has proper dynamic lighting, so it was really surprising, and almost frustrating to find that such a modern and popular engine like UE fails so badly to handle something as old as Dynamic Shadows.

Im sure its possible though, I dont agree with all these "faked" or pseudo techniques (even if they improve performance or raise the bar), I want TRUE effects, my system can handle it, and Im sure someone out there has found a way to make UE sing the way they want it, in this respect, especially with all this new DX11 jazz thats been coming into fruition.

If you find a solution to this can you PM me? I really wanted the answer to this myself but in the end I just gave up with it.

Comment

I'll let you know. I'm thinking this may be a programming thing. I'm going to look into it because this shadow stopping just kills the overall feel of the map.

Comment

AHA! I figured it out. Very simple actually.

Click on the skeletal mesh when you've placed it in the level and open the properties. Open the Skeletal Mesh Actor tab, thenexpand Skeletal Mesh Component. There should be a check box near the middle that says "Update Skel When Not Rendered". Make sure it's ticked and the shadow still moves when the mesh is off screen.

I have cloth tops over the carts of the ferris wheel though and they reset every time I look at it again. Not a big deal, I can look into that later. I at least have a real shadow now!

Comment

Working...
        X