Night time lighting tutorial?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Night time lighting tutorial?

Does anyone know of a good tutorial to set up lighting for a scene that's in the middle of the night? I looked at the new night time pre made map and everything seems to be lit too bright. Kind of like a street light is on. Any attempt I made to make night lighting has either been too bright or everything is too dark and details just can't be made out. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Depending on your scene lighting will very. Bright lighting is normal for a night time scene because the player needs to be able to see their surroundings. However, there are times when you may make it to dark to see, Doom 3 is an example of this, the darkness plays into the gameplay.

I usually create a directional light with a brightness of anywhere between .2 and .5 with a blue tint. I then use fires and lanterns and other things to give some life to the scene. Here is an example of an environment I was building which makes use of that set-up. I never got to far, but it showcases the point.

You won't see it in the shots, but having a dark coloured sky will drive the scene home too.

Comment

Working...
    X