Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How would I implement a "physical" "HUD style"3D helmet interior?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How would I implement a "physical" "HUD style"3D helmet interior?

Last night I had a bloody amazing dream! I was some kind of bounty hunter or soldier in a futuristic secret special operations squad, and I had this armour on that slightly resembled something like Samus's Metroid suit or "The Nanosuit". I could see these holographic displays and dials on the inside of my helmet and I had all these wierd gadgets attached to my suit, including this thing on my leg that seemed to shoot out compressed air when I detached it. It scared everyone around me when I did this, which made me laugh.

Once we got to the end of the descent down this lift, into some kind of futuristic mine, we had to get our guns cocked and ready (cant remember what they looked like) and get into positions, so I went upstairs and started checking the rooms, and I realised I had this visor that can change modes (like predator, or Killer 7) and when I changed to this (white/red) mode I noticed these things crawling about on the walls, and once I was able to see them, they started trying to attack me, so I was busting caps in their asses and getting my arms & legs bitten by these dog-sized insects. It was pretty freaky cos in that view-mode, I could hardly make anything out, except what I was shooting at, everything else just resembled vague red outlines.

Anyway I cant really recall the rest of the dream, I probably commited war crimes or something and got executed for it. But anyway I really wanted to replicate the helmet, using UDK. I was laying there trying to think of a way I could implement this. I could create the object in max in about an hour, but its incorporating into the engine that im going to have trouble with. I thought, I could ust do a simple "attach to camera" in kismet, but I remembered that this just doesn't work properly (remember the fake torch method? You can rotate horizontally, but not vertically, so its just a waste of time).

Is there any way I can do this without having to study huge amounts of code. Right now Im concentrating more on creating assets, so I dont have to use anything that isn't mine. Once I've got to a comfortable level with 3D modelling, I can then get back to learning Uscript, which I have some ultra-basic knowledge of.

thanks in advance

Use scaleform

Comment

Duke Nukem forever had a version of this, and it was produces with an earlier version of Unreal3. I believe it was mostly Post Process effects, possibly with some subtle texture switching. Interesting Unreal Engine experience, that game.

Comment

I'll have a look into scaleform, but will it still be possible for the helmet interior to be 3D? (so its inner surfaces can be lit/darkened depending on the enviroment, or the internal dials?)

Yea I've been meaning to play DN: Forever, I know a lot of people say its a terrible game (I was one of them to begin with), but once I played the demo on PS3, I realised it was intended as more of a homage to the previous games, rather than a complete revamp, (especially the stadium and mines sections, good memories!), and I entered the game without any huge expectations, and came out pretty **** entertained. Its just a good, honest simple FPS, just like Duke 3D, and I can still relate to the humour because I grew up playing all the Duke Nukems, even the old 2D platformers on DOS that eventually became DN3D! I suppose my only gripe with DNF (disregarding how long it took to be released) is that they seem to have just copied a lot of the voice samples from earlier games and re-used them (like what he says RIGHT at the beginning of DN3D), but thats minor, I enjoyed the demo, and Duke still makes me laugh, so thats all that matters!

Comment

Working...
        X