Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

casting a shadow with a mesh effect.

hello,
    I have a mesh effect that I want to cast a shadow. I have it set to cast shadows in the static mesh editor but it does not seem to work. Both the light and the surface the shadow will be cast on is set correctly as regular static mesh placed in the level correctly casts shadows.
    Anyone know how to do this?

If you mean you want the shadow to be castes like it's shining through a wire mesh only, you could try creating a transparency mask. Mask everything outside of the UV's, then select the inside of each face in the UV shell, shrink the selection a few pixels, then mask that so the only opaque are of the transparency mask would be along the lines of the UV's.

Comment

Not as complicated as that. All I want is for it to cast a solid shadow. It is currently a mesh particle created through cascade. All I want it to do is cast a shadow as it travels much like a basic static mesh would.

Comment

Ooooh ok. I haven't tried this, but what about creating a seperate static mesh in the shape of what you want the shadow to look like and set it's visibility off but still allow it to cast shadows. Then using kismet, attach it to the particle system? That's the only way I can think of.

Comment

Good idea. Unfortunately, my particular project does not really allow kismet sequences for this kind of thing. Its mostly through scripts. Which probably means I need to bother the engineer. =)
          Thanks for your response.

Comment

Sorry to bump this.
            I can probably get a engineer to attach a decal to the particle as it travels to make a fake shadow but I wanted to give a cleaner solution one more try.
            Any material checkboxes I am missing> Some odd cascade lighting module I overlooked? Anything? anything at all?

Comment

Working...
            X