Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lightning/Shadow problem..maybe easy to solve

Hi there,

I have a pertinacious lighting/shadow issue. When a light is selected in editor, it draws a nice sharp shadow. When I build lighting or deselect the light, shadows disappear or go very blurry. I built my map with the June UDK and used the example standard map as a nice start point. No lightmass or surface properties were altered. I tried to change the lightmass settings for a surface, tried out with different values for the lights - nothing noticable happens. If I open up a new example map, lighting works as expected. What could be the problem? I changed my lightmass importance volume in Size. That's the only thing which is light or world related I can think of.

Working shadow with pointlight selected:

Pointlight deselected/lighting built:

Directional light working:

Same scene built all (shadows are there, but VERY blurry):

new empty map, everyhting nearly as it should:

It would be very nice if someone out there could help me.

Cheers
    Nicolas

If the floor is a BSP then select the surface and hit F5 and set the lightmap resolution to 2 or 1. If the floor is a static mesh then increase the lightmap resolution in the mesh editor to 128 or above. This should solve the issue.

Comment

That did the trick. It is a BSP floor. I set the lightmap res to 2.0 and that did it. Thank you very much. It noticed it also works when I replace a Dominant directional light with a dominant directional light movable.

Maybe 2 more questions:
      • Why does this work? (replacing a normal light with a movable light)
      • Is there a way to make the shadows even sharper?

thank you very much!

Cheers
      Nicolas

Comment

Working...
      X