Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to make snowfall deposition?? (No quick tips please)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to make snowfall deposition?? (No quick tips please)

how can I make snow fall and make it deposit on d foliage, rooftops of the houses and shacks, on top of mountain rock and boulders?

i want a detailed step by step explanation only please... no quick tips!

Do you want the objects to just get a white snow material on their top side? That shouldn't be too hard.
    Or do you want it to actually rise and expand as it snows more?
    That would be much harder, probably very resource intensive, if even possible.
    Originally posted by painseeker_liveson View Post
    i want a detailed step by step explanation only please... no quick tips!
    Good luck with that.

Comment

yeah i know going about it the material way isn't hard. But yes I'm trying to find something with the second option. Snowfall is easy. Its easy to show snowfall... either make multiples planes intersecting each other, or place a snow cloud that follows the player or simply create a snow particles system and add materials to it. Getting them to deposit and then get blown away is the hard part.

But I'm sure there must be someone out there who knows or atleast has some kind of idea about how to do it.

Comment

... Getting them to deposit and then get blown away is the hard part.
        That would require making your particles immortal (possible but really not recommended). Basically, the longer it snows, the more particles you'll have, and eventually your frame rates will crash to about 1fph (frame per hour) as your CPU and GPU try vainly to co-ordinate billions of particles in scene at once.

Try this:

1. Particle snow that dies as it touches the mesh.
        2. Build the meshes with a displacement map that animates over time to simulate snow building up on it, OR a mesh you can animate to pretend to be accumulating snow.
        3. Snow banks and other areas you want snow to "blow off" from have particle emitters that release wafts of particles when the wind blows (use Kismet to co-ordinate this)
        4. If you want large areas of snow buildup that can be "broken" on contact (like, for instance, a large area on a roof that slides off and explodes) use a mesh with destruction and particles.
        5. Decals and so forth for footprints.

There's no need to do this the hard way; in fact, in this case the hard way should be avoided at all costs. No-one tries to implement accumulating snow at that level, not even SFX houses with access to supercomputers. It's all a fake. There are methods to make it look less fake, but none available in a game engine (yet).Work with what you have. Particles, Kismet and PhysX should give you pretty satisfying snow effects.

Comment

Originally posted by DifferenceEngine3D View Post
          There are methods to make it look less fake, but none available in a game engine (yet).
          I saw a great demo that had snow accumulation that you could run through, and leave what appeared to be a physical trail some time last year. It ran in real time on moderate hardware (but it consisted only of the snow, a small terrain, and the character). I'll have to see if I can find a youtube video.

Comment

keep in mind all of your objects will need to be ready for snow buildup either method you chose. ie, snow won't be a something that builds independently (like particles stacking on top of eachother), but something that modifies all the meshes and objects it touches (changing the material, growing its size, deforming it via a MorphTarget, etc). and that won't be at all easy to program... yes unrealscript will most likely be needed so that you can iterate through all objects where the snow will build up

Originally posted by Graylord View Post
            Good luck with that.
            amen.

Comment

There are some pretty good implementations out there. I should have said "none available in UDK". But even top effects houses only show snow accumulating where they need it (ie in frame) rather than trying to simulate snowfall for the entire environment. It's all about cheating elegantly

FWIW, check out "atomontage engine" too. That could be incredibly impressive one day. Maybe voxels are the future

Comment

Originally posted by ambershee View Post
                I'll have to see if I can find a youtube video.
                Oh please please do!

Comment

That would require making your particles immortal (possible but really not recommended). Basically, the longer it snows, the more particles you'll have, and eventually your frame rates will crash to about 1fph (frame per hour) as your CPU and GPU try vainly to co-ordinate billions of particles in scene at once.

Try this:

1. Particle snow that dies as it touches the mesh.
                  2. Build the meshes with a displacement map that animates over time to simulate snow building up on it, OR a mesh you can animate to pretend to be accumulating snow.
                  3. Snow banks and other areas you want snow to "blow off" from have particle emitters that release wafts of particles when the wind blows (use Kismet to co-ordinate this)
                  4. If you want large areas of snow buildup that can be "broken" on contact (like, for instance, a large area on a roof that slides off and explodes) use a mesh with destruction and particles.
                  5. Decals and so forth for footprints.

There's no need to do this the hard way; in fact, in this case the hard way should be avoided at all costs. No-one tries to implement accumulating snow at that level, not even SFX houses with access to supercomputers. It's all a fake. There are methods to make it look less fake, but none available in a game engine (yet).Work with what you have. Particles, Kismet and PhysX should give you pretty satisfying snow effects.

Now, Im positive there will be some way of going about it. Like you said, its gotta be faked in a realistic way. I think this guy is onto something here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otedqKHET1w

Comment

That's the way: effective trickery. Don't try and make the particle system do all the work!

Comment

FWIW, check out "atomontage engine" too. That could be incredibly impressive one day. Maybe voxels are the future
                      I love it already!

Comment

Use tesselation with a nice upblended shader to modify the snow strength/falloff and add this to all your meshes...

And have a look at this...

http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/Devel...formation.html

Comment

I love it already!
                          Alas, not yet available; it's a small team in Slovakia making it. Hopefully, judging from their timeline, 2012-2013 is a not-unreasonable release date.

Comment

sad if i could make a full fledged indie game in udk and sell it, i would gladly fund them for that tech... of course that would mean obtaining a lifetime license from them

Comment

Working...
                            X