Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Please take a look at this picture and help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please take a look at this picture and help.

please take a look at this picture and explain to me why the textures are getting out of shape so badly!?!?!

because the terrain tiles are overstretched

2 ways of fixing it;

make your mountains much bigger so you don't have a spike where the terrain tiles end up in 1 point

OR

export that material's texture, and photoshop it so it becomes double the size
    (for photoshop; filter->offset->200%
    then with the clone stamp tool get rid of the cross whe textures meet
    then offset it again by 50% and save it
    import it into UDK, create the material and then paint that material over these areas where the tiling is stretched)

Greetz Apple-Guy

Comment

Hey thanks a lot for the help. ok i'll get rid of d spikes. but say I did want those spikes to b thr in that case how would i go about it? and the texture sample resolution that i had used for this was 2048x2048... so ur telling me to get a resolution higher than that?

also my mountains are infact bigger, the non spiked mountains are more or less 1100-1500 units high. tell me how can i solve the problem with the curved mountain surfaces (as u may have noticed the texture gets a bit stretched in there as well).

Comment

UV stretching on steep surfaces is a common issue with heightmap terrain. Steep surfaces are generally best done with static meshes as you can control the UVs with those.

Comment

Originally posted by ffejnosliw View Post
          UV stretching on steep surfaces is a common issue with heightmap terrain. Steep surfaces are generally best done with static meshes as you can control the UVs with those.
          So you mean to say its better to model that stuff in max or maya and import it as ASE??

Comment

For steep surfaces like cliffs, that is generally the best method.

Comment

okay.. thanks a lot

Comment

You can reduce texture stretching by reducing the 3dScale.z property, but this will lower the max altitude of your terrain ("squishing" it in the z dimension). Then, for steep peaks/cliffs go with the static mesh method.

Comment

Working...
                X