Static meshes and 3DS MAX problem!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Static meshes and 3DS MAX problem!

Hi guys.. i desperatly need some help.. i'm trying to design a hotel level in my game.. so i got the blueprint of the interior of one of the hotel floors...

The modeling goes perfectly.. everything goes along smoothly.. and i end up with this...

Then i used the UVW Mapping modifier, and i chose face...

I exported the model using the following settings...

Then i imported it in UDK.. placed it, applied a texture just to test it out.. and this is what i got...

my problems here are as follows..
    #1. Notice how some walls have the texture stretched..
    #2. It looks normal on some walls..
    #3 There's some sort of dark shadow on the lower half of some of the walls... which is not consistant with the lighting..

i've already tried different UVW Mappers... planar, box, etc.. the face mapper got me the best results so far... this is my 3rd attempt at that interior.. i used different methods each time...
    this time i played it safe.. i didn't even cut the doors and windows using Probolean like i did before only to test the textures out.

I don't really know what else i can do.. i've spent too much time on this so any help would be much much appreciated

Thanx in advance.

first of all, I would recommend that u divide your modell into several pieces (perhaps one per room).

with every one of them, try following steps (perhaps u want to test the whole process with only one of them to see if it works for u):

1.) collapse the uvw map modifier, than apply Reset X-Form, than recreate the uvw map modifier and choose box mapping.

2.) ADD an unwrap uvw modifier, change its map channel to 2, in the edit-window of the unwrap select "faces" and select all of them. perform "flatten mapping" with standard-values, close the edit window.

3.) export your models.

4.) in UDK import your models, double-click on the static meshes in the content manager and change Lightmap Resolution to (I would say) 512. Try higher or lower Power-of-2s if you want to and apply materials to your static meshes.

5.) save your package(s)! and rebuilt. (Try to build the light in other than preview quality if shadows look bothering splotchy).

Good luck with this.

Comment

Wouldn't face mapping stretch out your textures if you have a really long rectangle? it may look ideal on some but on others it would be rotated or stretched, which looks like what you're currently experiencing...

Out of curiosity, is there a reason why you didn't go with modular building instead of going with a giant piece for every wall on the floor? Looks like you have a lot of repetitive looking room types which would be ideal for modular building. Just curious

Comment

Originally posted by SantoToribio View Post
        Wouldn't face mapping stretch out your textures if you have a really long rectangle? it may look ideal on some but on others it would be rotated or stretched, which looks like what you're currently experiencing...

Out of curiosity, is there a reason why you didn't go with modular building instead of going with a giant piece for every wall on the floor? Looks like you have a lot of repetitive looking room types which would be ideal for modular building. Just curious
        I was actually doing modular modeling with this hotel floor.. coz i was gonna just clone this floor several times to make the actual interior of the building.. and i was gonna modify it to make interiors for other buildings.. i thought it would be better to have one soild static mesh than to have serveral and just group them together.. but seems like i might have been wrong lol..
        but i'm starting to think i should make this inteior with UDK additive brushes rather than static meshs and only use static meshs for decoration..

Comment

Originally posted by Szeth View Post
          first of all, I would recommend that u divide your modell into several pieces (perhaps one per room).

with every one of them, try following steps (perhaps u want to test the whole process with only one of them to see if it works for u):

1.) collapse the uvw map modifier, than apply Reset X-Form, than recreate the uvw map modifier and choose box mapping.

2.) ADD an unwrap uvw modifier, change its map channel to 2, in the edit-window of the unwrap select "faces" and select all of them. perform "flatten mapping" with standard-values, close the edit window.

3.) export your models.

4.) in UDK import your models, double-click on the static meshes in the content manager and change Lightmap Resolution to (I would say) 512. Try higher or lower Power-of-2s if you want to and apply materials to your static meshes.

5.) save your package(s)! and rebuilt. (Try to build the light in other than preview quality if shadows look bothering splotchy).

Good luck with this.

Thank you for your very informative reply.. i think you're probably right.. i should probably be building rooms.. perhaps with BSB brushes though.. haven't decieded yet..

Comment

Yeah, going the BSP route for your "base" would be the way I'd tackle it, you're going to be subtracting a whole lot of doors from doorways but I think it may afford you more flexibility to break things up with decorative SM touches, molding, rails, etc. Best of luck!

Comment

It would be great though if i could get this model in, i've spent too much time on this already.. i've uploaded it here..

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=XZ34VHZC

i hope somebody can take a look at it, perhaps there's something we're missing...
              if not, i'm gonna have to go room by room..
              Agian thank you so much for your help

Comment

If u perform the steps 1 to 5, without dividing your model, the stretching and the shadow-problem as it was described, should disappear. But you will get really low-res shadows because even with a high lightmap resolution, the surface of the model is huge compared to the size of the lightmap. Thats why you should devide it into pieces with each having its own lightmap. But for testing, you can keep the model in a whole to see what happens to the stretching etc.

Comment

I already tried that.. unfortunatly i got a really weird result.. it didn't even look like the same texture.. it was now even more stretched on all surfaces..
                  It's OK though.. i thought we could salvage this model.. but i ended up using it as a referance in UDK and i redesigned the whole thing with BSB brushes lol
                  Thanks for the help

Comment

Working...
                  X