Combine Packages and Levels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Combine Packages and Levels

We are using UDK for a level design course and I have not been able to find a tutorial on how to combine a map file with the packages that are used in the map. Is such a thing possible? I thought it would be very nice for submitting assignments if students could export the packages that are within a level into the map file for submission, that way there should not be a problem with missing packages.
    Any help on this would be appreciated.
    thank you.

Might work for student submissions, but it's a bad habit to get into. Level packages always load all of their assets into memory. I would recommend having your students set up a directory structure (nested folders) with the same names as the UDK folders where their packages reside. This way, you can unzip the *.zip file, and then drag&drop the whole thing into the /_root/ in the UDK folders (where ever that is in your structure). This is as important to learn as Naming Conventions.

Comment

OK, I see. If they create the directory structure outside of the install location for UDK, will they encounter external reference warning with the newer builds? My main concern is transporting any work they do in the lab to their home machines. If they create the file structure on an external drive or Flash drive they can easily transport the content, but as the semester goes on their submissions will become larger as they will be resubmitting that directory each time?

Comment

Working...
      X