Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[request] foliage & spline loft stuff...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[request] foliage & spline loft stuff...

Hi Guys,

First up, thanks for getting foliage back online, it's obviously been an enormous amount of work, and I heard a little birdy talking about big improvements in the July release for the foliage tool.

In that vein, can I please ask about speedtrees in the foliage system? I've found I can create *very* convincing jungle scenes already but they crunch my new desktop (I7, 8GB ram, 2GB video card) down to 20fps, and I was wondering if speedtrees would perform better than raw staticmeshes...

Also, addon request, is there any chance we can get collision going for spline loft actors? I just figured out how to do roads but without collision I have to choose between having my characters feet sink into the roads or having them so close to the ground that they can cause z fighting...

Cheers, your friendly foliage fetishist

seeing how Foliage just got released it's obvious it's not that full-featured yet. I'd be surprised if they don't ever allow the use of SpeedTrees on it
    same goes with collision, which doesn't work for me at all, any objects I put I always walk through them but if I place them as static meshes they do have collision. does it work for you?

also it's weird how if you create some foliage, save, close, re-open; you can't delete foliage anymore. I hope that gets a fix too

Comment

In any case, spline loft with collision is an immensely potent tool that should really be considered!

Comment

Originally posted by ambershee View Post
        In any case, spline loft with collision is an immensely potent tool that should really be considered!
        This!
        Or to be able to export the deformed mesh, or covert it to a new mesh or something... would make building, for example, roads in-editor, trivial...

Comment

Auto-generated collision is really what is needed. You can still however manually add blocking volumes and save it as a prefab.

Comment

We implemented auto-generated collision for SplineLoftActors in our engine at work... however it's still not really useable for things like roads and fences because decals won't apply to deformed meshes, and apparently that's a much harder thing to get working (at least, in an efficient manner). So we still just end up using it for non-colliding stuff like powerlines, dirt trails and objects outside the play area.

Definitely being able to convert it to mesh (and thereby be able to export it) would be a great feature though.

Comment

I'd also like to be able to use more than one bend, and align it to more than one axis.

Comment

and tiling

Comment

Working...
                X