Foliage Painting onto Landscape

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Foliage Painting onto Landscape

I'm having trouble digging up a solid tutorial and I have read UDK forward and backwards about landscape and such.

I have a landscape created in UDK. I applied a simple rock material to the landscape. All is fine, then I go to add foliage and for the life of me can't figure it out. I understand dragging the mesh onto the foliage window etc, but when I ctrl click to see the foliage added to the landscape nothing happens.

It's working for me in the June UDK. Do you have the Instanced Static Meshes show flag enabled in the viewport(s)? Foliage uses instancing which requires that flag to display in the viewports.

Comment

Ok well some of my meshes don't like to go in others work just fine. I'll have to figure out that later. One more thing previously you could paint material onto the terrain. How is that done with the new landscape or do you have to use a "landscape" material to do it. I ask cause I have some places where I really want to touch up a certain area only, and have it get a different material than normal. Lets say its a steep cliff but I have a water fall running over it so I need to make it with wet looking rocks instead of my normal cliff material.

Comment

Add a new layer to the landscape, add a corresponding layer in the material, paint the layer.

Comment

Thanks for the info, any chance a good video tutorial laying around about the new landscaping tools?

Comment

mtcoder, you should be aware that the foliage system uses the 'LODMax Range' value from the properties of the static meshes you put into it to determine (roughly) when things should disappear/appear.

Because the setting is per static mesh type, if you are foliage painting two different static meshes with different LODMax range values, they will not appear and disappear in unison.

You should also be aware that there is also some freaky wierd batching thing going on with the show hide which can result (for example) in a grove of trees you've foliage painted vanishing (all together at the same time) when you step away from them (even just a little bit depending on their LODMax Range setting).

Comment

Yeap I got that much figured out. still is a bit weird though I can pain lets say grass on flat ground 1 foot in front of me, rotate a few degree around and add same mesh at same distance and it not show. Sometimes it shows up after a full build most time it doesn't. Seems there are a few kinks to get finished out, but its a far nicer tool than the terrain, just needs to get finished out.

Also when it comes to my previous question about painting a material, from what I am seeing you create another landscape and position it over / where you want it and then work it into the terrain with the material you want applied. Thsi allows for some really unique options, but is also a royal pain in the kisser when it comes to simply making a small area a different material lol.
              Am I missing somethign or have the process down. Now I also know that they do this to allow better terrain management with draw calls and it greatly improves overall performance, just a royal pain at times lol. But also want to make sure i'm not over looking something simple / stupid.

Comment

Create another landscape to apply another material? No. You create a new layer in the existing landscape like I said previously. It's not all that different from how the old terrain system worked except that you only have one material that contains all the layer networks instead of a separate material for each layer.

It's all explained in [UDN]LandscapeMaterials[/UDN] and [UDN]LandscapeEditing[/UDN].

Comment

Originally posted by ffejnosliw View Post
                  Create another landscape to apply another material? No. You create a new layer in the existing landscape like I said previously. It's not all that different from how the old terrain system worked except that you only have one material that contains all the layer networks instead of a separate material for each layer.

It's all explained in [UDN]LandscapeMaterials[/UDN] and [UDN]LandscapeEditing[/UDN].
                  ffejnosliw,
                  is there anyway to import a bitmap for a new layer for an existing landscape? It looks to me that you can only import a layer at the same time as you create a landscape.
                  thanks

Comment

Working...
                  X