Getting Maya Materials to come across

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting Maya Materials to come across

I am sure its a setting or something I am doing. But when I build a mesh, and use maya to apply the materials. I get great looking items, things like phone-e with wood grain for a fence come out great.

When I export the mesh into fbx and then import it into Unreal it imports all the materials but they are just a flat color. Meaning my fence with wood grains etc ends up being just a light purple. When you look at the material in object browser there are "31" setps but when you open the material editor there is only the flat color stuck to the difuse.

So what / which step am I doing wrong?
    Thanks

If it is a shader you created in maya you will need to re create that in UDK, it wont be converted over sadly.

Jody

Comment

Yep, you'll have to save all the files you used in the material as 2dtexture files (such as targa) and import them all into UDK then put a new material together using these files.

I believe that when using materials in maya, the only thing that carries over to UDK when you export it is the amount of materials that are used on the mesh. so if you have a mesh that uses two materials in maya, when you import it into UDK, it will have two material slots, but the material has to be remade in the engine. UDK's material editor is amazing though, so I usually do just simple diffuse, spec, and normal maps outside of the engine then mess with the material editor to make it look nice.

Comment

K thanks, im use to the maya engine and its material editors, but Ill just have to start getting good with the unreal editor instead, just hate to do double work. lol get the character looking good or get a good model from someone and then have to redo them all again in unreal. *cough* unreal devs lovely addon for you guys to make. lol

Anyways thanks for the heads, up just wanted to make sure there wasn't something weird where you have to do a certain setting in maya to get it to work just right.
        Cause I have had that happen before.

Comment

Originally posted by mtcoder View Post
          K thanks, im use to the maya engine and its material editors, but Ill just have to start getting good with the unreal editor instead, just hate to do double work. lol get the character looking good or get a good model from someone and then have to redo them all again in unreal. *cough* unreal devs lovely addon for you guys to make. lol
          It's not doing it again, it's simply importing what you already have done.

It's not just "a lovely addon from the unreal devs", it's how game engines work, you'll find similar procedures everywhere.

Comment

Basic materials can be transferred if you are using FBX.

[UDN]FBXMaterialPipeline[/UDN]

Comment

Working...
            X