Would Really Appreciate Some Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would Really Appreciate Some Help

So i've been learning how to use UDK for about two weeks now. Finished all the video tutorials provided by 3d buzz and can say that i have grasped most of the components that make up UDK. As a natural second step in my learning process i figured that it would be a good idea to learn Unreal Script and how to control my game through code. So i download nfringe, fired up a couple of tutorials on how to make it work and after struggling for the last couple of days i somehow managed to get my map started from Visual Studio. Only now, and i dont know how this happened, whenever i go to UDK and press "Play From Here" in my levels, i seem to be free floating in the air. I dont walk, when i press the spacebar it just elevates me off the ground continuously and i no longer am able to interact with any triggers/meshes in my levels. I would be really appreciative if someone could tell me what went wrong.

The script i ran in VS is this:

class MyPawn01 extends Pawn;

var() float myfloat;

DefaultProperties
    {
    myfloat = 10.0;
    }

Oh and after trying to run the script through VS, im getting a pop up window telling me that the "Scripts are outdated. Would you like to rebuild now" whenever i try to run UDK or build the code.

When i press "Yes" another window pops up with the title "c\udk\udk-2011-06\binaries\wind64\udk.exe" with a bunch of automated commands and warning that says "can't find files matching c:\udk\udk-2011-06\binaries\win64\..\..\development\src\mygame01\c lasses\*.uc"

When i press "No" it just leads me to UDK/Runs my code.

try changing "extends Pawn;" at the top of your script to "extends UTPawn;"

I don't think there's a class simply called "Pawn" so when the level loads, you don't have a working pawn class. Hence the floating.

Comment

actually there IS a class simply called "Pawn"...
      UTPawn extends UDKPawn extends GamePawn extends Pawn
      if there wasn't a class called Pawn he wouldn't even be able to compile the game and get to load the level

to the OP: is there any reason you're extending from Pawn instead of UTPawn or at least UDKPawn? if you don't know exactly what you're doing and/or don't want to waste time coding stuff that already exists somewhere, it's generally recommended to use UTPawn and remove/change what you don't like
      try extending from UTPawn, maybe the spawning/moving/etc functionality isn't present on Pawn but in UTPawn should be.
      also, what's your PlayerController class? and what does your Game class look like?

Comment

Originally posted by Chosker View Post
        actually there IS a class simply called "Pawn"...
        UTPawn extends UDKPawn extends GamePawn extends Pawn
        if there wasn't a class called Pawn he wouldn't even be able to compile the game and get to load the level

to the OP: is there any reason you're extending from Pawn instead of UTPawn or at least UDKPawn? if you don't know exactly what you're doing and/or don't want to waste time coding stuff that already exists somewhere, it's generally recommended to use UTPawn and remove/change what you don't like
        try extending from UTPawn, maybe the spawning/moving/etc functionality isn't present on Pawn but in UTPawn should be.
        also, what's your PlayerController class? and what does your Game class look like?
        Oh really? I had no idea haha. Well I guess since it's more practical to extend from UTPawn I just never dug deep enough to find the regular "Pawn" class. Good to know! Aside from the pawn issue, you're probably right. He may not have included his moded gametype in the defaultengine.ini or something similar.

Comment

Working...
        X