Full asset creation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Full asset creation

Hey, I am having trouble looking for any good tutorial videos or web sites for building your own static mesh's/ game assets using 3ds max. So far i have found this (http://udkc.info/index.php?title=Tut...ng.2FTexturing) however it is not detailed enough for me. The particular problem i am having is exporting an objects UV/textures from 3ds max to be imported into UDK.

Any help on these problems would be greatly appreciated. thank you

This is my basic process for a model

1. Create the model
    2. Unwrap UVW (in modify)
    3. In the rollout of the Unwrap UVW find edit
    4. Pack and sort the geometry on the UV and export as image file
    5. Save the UV settings for backup
    6. Edit the UV Map in photoshop or other image editing software
    7. Back into max and export as .fbx
    8. Import model and final uv texture into udk
    9. Create new material of uv texture (incl. normal, spec any other maps)
    10. Apply material to .fbx model in its properties or drag and drop

When you export the .fbx the UV details go along with it.

Comment

how do you pack and sort UVW's?

Comment

Right click your 3d model and convert to editable poly. In the modifyers drop down select unwrap UVW. Click the + Symbol and select faces. Here you can select faces you want and then click 'Edit' (open UV editor for max 2012). This will open the Editing window, basically a 2d view of the meshes faces. A very simple way to unwrap the mesh is to select all your faces, either in the UV editor or the other viewports, click 'Mapping', Then 'Flatten Mapping' and then click ok. This will basically 'Flatten' the 3d mesh. This is very basic however, most of the time or for more complex meshes you will want to do a lot manually.

After this click 'tool' in the UV Editor, then 'Render UV map', set your desired settings and save the image, pretty much what PazD said.

You can pack the UV's by going into tools and select 'pack UV's' change the settings or leave at default then apply. Basically neatens up the UV's, often utilising as much of the space it can.

Comment

Thanks allot K7-Avenger, I tried to do this for a model that I had already created but I could not seem to get it to work, when I select all the faces and try to flatten mapping it will not allow me (the option is grey), do you know of any tutorial videos for this? thanks again man

Comment

While I don't know any tutorials I can try to explain it a bit.

First off create your geometry or model, once done make sure that you are not in any of the selection modes(like Faces or Verts) apply the modifier Unwrap UVW to it and then in the Unwrap Modifier choose to select Faces, you should now be able to flatten/normal/unfold map your model.

Comment

Working...
            X