Foliage View Distances

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Foliage View Distances

I noticed there's no per-layer view distance settings for foliage. A min/max view distance setting on each layer would dramatically increase visual quality and performance for generating large areas of foliage. I've used this feature in the past on previous engines and it worked out great.

Let's assume you merely want to set up grass in a field. What you do is have two layers of grass, one dense and one very sparse. The view distance on the dense layer is set to 0 min and a very low max distance. The view distance on the sparse layer is set so it's min view distance matches the value in the dense layer's max distance. It then has a very high max distance.

This ensures that there's foliage visible for a very long distance but that farther away, it's very sparse.

What I'm noticing now is that these "clusters" of meshes are disappearing altogether as whole groups instead of each individual foliage mesh disappearing individually with distance. So what I'm seeing is whole areas of my grass disappearing until I get close enough, which looks pretty off.

yes right now it's a little weird, you really notice the patches of meshes popping in and out. Foliage was just implemented though, and seeing how they did it before with the decoLayers I'd assume some better camera distance sorting will be added as well as options for distance settings. patience

Comment

Im having the issue that the trees that im painting I cant see them till im finished an go ingame (PIE) then they popup when am really close to the area...
      and you are saying that for now that's is not fixable? -_-

Comment

hey guys, I just found a way to change the view distance. Open the UDKEngine.ini and change the value of the line MaxDrawDistanceScale I've set it to 75 and this is big enough to see it from a far distance in an open world like mine.

That's it!

Comment

how can that be made in a per tree type (static mesh) basis?, the "largeTree" has a very "short range" of visibility while others like "shane tree 01" are more (a lot more) visible friendly, I know all of this is for performance, I was messing around with the LOD of those static meshes but it seems succesfulless...

Some UDK guru please make a (updated) tutorial about landscape and foliage for newbies! you will be thankful by millions!

Comment

I don't know how to do that on all actors but if you place them with the foliage editor, it is suposed to be ok I guess, I,ve done that for grass and it do the job.

Comment

For the ladnscape tutorial, Go on this page, this is a good one.

https://www.design3.com/udk/fundamen...landscape-tool

I don't remember if you need to create an account but if yess, it will be free.

Comment

Working...
              X