Using cubemap specular for rough metal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using cubemap specular for rough metal

So, I am trying to learn much more about more advanced materials, particularily how to control them.
    I have a rough/brushed metal helmet, which I wish to use a cubemapped specular on in order to give it a final touch.

I have set it up with a vector transform and a reflection vector so that it rotates with the camera.

It works quite nicely. However, the reflection is way too strong and I wish to tone it down.
    It's easily fixed in photoshop, however, that would stop me from learning the material editor, and cause me to have a unique one for various objects.

I tried both subtracting and dividing from it, then subtract the result from itself and use the result as a specular, it worked as expected for the brighter parts, however, the darker parts of the specular obviously turned completely black and gave horrible outlines.

Any suggestions for a setup?

I also have a classic grayscale UVmap based specular, if that could be useful.

Multiply what comes out of your transforms by a scalar or vector with values less than 1.

Comment

Thanks! That did the trick.

To tweaking!

Any suggestions on exactly how to make it not so glossy? Regardless of the Specular power, it still appears to have a glazing over it, it only makes it appear more or less even.

Comment

Are you just using a constant for the Specular? Specular Power just controls how tight the specular highlight is. The Specular controls the amount so you probably need use a mask (perhaps one channel from the diffuse texture) to make it not uniform over the entire surface.

Enhanced Specular
        [UDN]MaterialBasics[/UDN]
        [UDN]MaterialExamples[/UDN]

Comment

The specular is a cubemap. I do have a mask, and I tried using however, all I can seem to do is control how visible the specular is, not how glossy it is.

Comment

Well, after a lot of tweaking, this is my result:
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSzGnjeVUGA

I'm particularily pleased with the black metal, especially the mane, which you can see at 0:15 and out.
            A lot of it is very subtle, but I believe it has to be to not look like porcelain.
            It's easiest to see with highest resolution and full screen.

I was able to get good result with the light metal as well, however, I couldn't get them to look good at the same time. Due to them requiring vastly different specular power. I am unsure of why though, I guess it's the straight surfaces vs curved surfaces?

Does specular power support masks? If so, I could probably improve the light parts a lot. Or does it just use the numerical value of the constant?

I am also unsure of why the back parts of the gray metal does not seem to shine at all, it's info is identical to the frontal parts, massively boosting the specular power did force some through, but at the cost of everything else. It could just be the static mesh viewer though I guess.

Comment

I wish to tweak it further, however, almost no matter what I do, I get the dreaded plastic wrapper effect, unless I almost completely remove the normal map, which makes me lose far too much detail elsewhere.

Any suggestions on how to avoid the plastic wrapper effect?

Comment

Working...
              X