My very very first level! :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My very very first level! :)

Well, it's more of a walkthrough, but to me it's a very first level lol I am planning to make it a full level, but for right now, it's just a plain walkthrough
    I've called it the warehouse. It's my very first time really, creating a game. I started "small" so to speak. Usually, I would think bigger then what I can actually do. That didn't work(At all). So, I decided to switch things up, and do it a bit differently.
    I still need to work on some more stuff in. I'm hoping to get better and better, so I can eventually join a team*Crosses fingers* lol. For this level, I utilized what I know so far from Kinect. It's just lifting stuff up and down. Nothing major yet.

It's my first level, and I'm proud. It's in the beta state. So, I will still be adding things on. If you want to D/L it. You can visit it here: https://sourceforge.net/p/warehouseview/home/Home/

Good to see your having a shot at level design bro!
    One tip, work on the texture scaling (very easy) click on the material, click F4 and scale it to however it looks best. It'll totally change the look and feel of your level. All the best

Comment

Yeah, I should def do that! lol The only problem I had, was that was all static meshes, excluding some. The walls, floors and ceiling is static mesh. And I couldn't do that for it. I should of just reversed the rotation(Silly me, I know lol). I'm gonna reverse it, before the next release. That, and I will never again use static meshes for walls again

Thanks for the support!!

Comment

Heya SeaGear, first level, congrats! some constructive criticism strictly from a visual point...

In your screen shots, it's hard to tell what I'm supposed to be looking at, this is partly due to the inconsistent texture scaling as mentioned already, but a lot of it has to do with lighting (where are your light sources? what can you to do give you more dramatic lighting to create nice bounce and directional shadows etc?) and geometry (I'm not seeing much of it outside some boxy shapes).

Also, quite the opposite, you probably want to EXCLUSIVELY use static meshes for walls, unless you're making a "first layer" base wall with some SMs to break it up (BSPs should very seldom be used if you can help it). Also, I'd highly recommend in an environment like this one to use modular building as much as you can.

Best of luck! look forward to seeing your progress!

Comment

Good post there from Santo.
          I also wanted to add myself, personally I design a level around purpose according to the theme I'm building like, I tend to place objects purposefully. For eg, if I were building a warehouse that had been abandonded due to some event, i'd have pallets and racking, boxes littered around. Things would be in place for a reason and obviously theres the objective placement, things placed to steer the player towards a direction or for interaction. That may be some advice that could help?
          This could serve as a good eg of what I mean...

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
          I built this last night, took about 3 hours. WIP obviously but i'm just coming up with a mock Splinter Cell level (obviously I havent got the gameplay mechanics for that) But as you can see, it's designed according to a theme and purpose according to the 'mock gameplay mechanic'
          P.S. I know i have to get over BSP walls, floors and ceilings but thats placeholder for now lol

Comment

Originally posted by SantoToribio View Post
            Heya SeaGear, first level, congrats! some constructive criticism strictly from a visual point...

In your screen shots, it's hard to tell what I'm supposed to be looking at, this is partly due to the inconsistent texture scaling as mentioned already, but a lot of it has to do with lighting (where are your light sources? what can you to do give you more dramatic lighting to create nice bounce and directional shadows etc?) and geometry (I'm not seeing much of it outside some boxy shapes).

Also, quite the opposite, you probably want to EXCLUSIVELY use static meshes for walls, unless you're making a "first layer" base wall with some SMs to break it up (BSPs should very seldom be used if you can help it). Also, I'd highly recommend in an environment like this one to use modular building as much as you can.

Best of luck! look forward to seeing your progress!
            Yeah, on my next release, I will do better on the text release. But, how can I do better on the dramatic lighting? I have a point light, directly above the scene. I think I should soften it, or look at the light properties to see where I'm doing wrong. Because when I practice the level, I wasn't seeing any good shadows either. Thanks for noticing that too.

Oh, so I should always think to use static meshes for walls? The only issue I have, is how to texture both sides(Seeing that is my weak spot).

Originally posted by Warrior_For_God View Post
            Good post there from Santo.
            I also wanted to add myself, personally I design a level around purpose according to the theme I'm building like, I tend to place objects purposefully. For eg, if I were building a warehouse that had been abandonded due to some event, i'd have pallets and racking, boxes littered around. Things would be in place for a reason and obviously theres the objective placement, things placed to steer the player towards a direction or for interaction. That may be some advice that could help?
            This could serve as a good eg of what I mean...

I built this last night, took about 3 hours. WIP obviously but i'm just coming up with a mock Splinter Cell level (obviously I havent got the gameplay mechanics for that) But as you can see, it's designed according to a theme and purpose according to the 'mock gameplay mechanic'
            P.S. I know i have to get over BSP walls, floors and ceilings but thats placeholder for now lol
            I was going to place boxes and crates around, but in my rush I forgot. I should be more precise like what you two said. I just said "I was gonna create a warehouse" and that was it. I'm going to work on this today. Try to make it a better theme then it is!

Comment

Originally posted by SeaGear View Post
              Yeah, on my next release, I will do better on the text release. But, how can I do better on the dramatic lighting? I have a point light, directly above the scene. I think I should soften it, or look at the light properties to see where I'm doing wrong. Because when I practice the level, I wasn't seeing any good shadows either. Thanks for noticing that too.
              So it sounds like you're only using one point light? are you familiar with Lightmass? You should definitely use Lightmass but you'll need to populate your scene much like the example Warrior_For_God has shown you in order to even get anything to read well with lighting. Also, you most definitely need to use more than one light, especially in an indoor scene like this one.

Warehouse/factory settings have been done countless times in games, it wouldn't hurt to go hunt down some screen shots of examples that show you how they've handled those settings lighting/shadow wise, off the top of my head Dead Space, Resident Evil 4, Uncharted 2 come to mind.

Also to follow up, ask yourself, what does this warehouse hold in it? shouldn't there be tons of stuff stored in here? wouldn't there be signs or decals on the walls? light fixtures all around? conveyor belts? shelves? forklifts? pipes? support beams? various machinery? entrance/exit doors? variation in floor? decals on the floor? there's a lot of research you can do on actual warehouses which should produce an abundant amount of things you can populate your scene with which will truly make it feel like an environment.

Comment

Originally posted by SeaGear View Post

Oh, so I should always think to use static meshes for walls? The only issue I have, is how to texture both sides(Seeing that is my weak spot).

I was going to place boxes and crates around, but in my rush I forgot. I should be more precise like what you two said. I just said "I was gonna create a warehouse" and that was it. I'm going to work on this today. Try to make it a better theme then it is!
                Awesome sounds great man. Be sure to post up pics of your progress

Comment

Originally posted by SantoToribio View Post
                  So it sounds like you're only using one point light? are you familiar with Lightmass? You should definitely use Lightmass but you'll need to populate your scene much like the example Warrior_For_God has shown you in order to even get anything to read well with lighting. Also, you most definitely need to use more than one light, especially in an indoor scene like this one.

Warehouse/factory settings have been done countless times in games, it wouldn't hurt to go hunt down some screen shots of examples that show you how they've handled those settings lighting/shadow wise, off the top of my head Dead Space, Resident Evil 4, Uncharted 2 come to mind.

Also to follow up, ask yourself, what does this warehouse hold in it? shouldn't there be tons of stuff stored in here? wouldn't there be signs or decals on the walls? light fixtures all around? conveyor belts? shelves? forklifts? pipes? support beams? various machinery? entrance/exit doors? variation in floor? decals on the floor? there's a lot of research you can do on actual warehouses which should produce an abundant amount of things you can populate your scene with which will truly make it feel like an environment.
                  I have two lights one for the main part. And another one in the office space. I have readjusted the one in the center room. I do have the lightmass importance volume on my level, though.

I have some screen shots of warehouses, but it wasn't any game ones. I need to check up on them

Yeah, I had a plan. But it wasn't a full fledged plan(Which is the problem). On the second beta, I will do a lot more touches to it. I'm thinking to create a new warehouse in the future, but have FULL OUT PLAN! I will do tons more work on it.

Originally posted by Warrior_For_God View Post
                  Awesome sounds great man. Be sure to post up pics of your progress
                  I will! I'm gonna try to do a video for it, too

Comment

Update

I have added some more stuff to the scene to make it more drawn out. I'm still adding stuff here and there, not completely done yet. I also added some sound to the level to make it seem like it's a real factory.

I hope you all like it! Please give some more feedback

Comment

Working...
                    X