Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Having trouble saving reference material onto removable disk!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Having trouble saving reference material onto removable disk!

Hello everyone, I am following the step-by-step guide in "Mastering Unreal Technology Volume 1". I got to the part where I added texture to the walls, ceilings, and floors from the disc that as provided with the book. FOr some reason, when I try to "play level" "--> "Play on PC", a message appears stating that the map is using externally referenced packages which, wont be found when in a game and all references will be broken. I click continue, and a dialogue box appears with the option of selecting to save a package named "Chapter3_LevelAssets". I checked the box and clicked "Save Selected", and another dialogue box appears, stating that the package failed to save. I retried saving but it would not work. THerefore, instead I clicked continue and STILL, another dialogue box appears stating the the package failed to save correctly. What am I doing wrong . I tried playing the level (after building all) on my PC and the textures were not present. It was the default brush (blue and white squares). How can I fix this?

The packages need to be located inside the UDKGame\Content folder of your UDK installation. Make sure the editor is closed, copy them into that folder, start the editor, and then they should be there for you to use without any of those messages.

Keep in mind that the books are meant for use with UT3 as well. There will be differences and issues when using them with UDK.

Comment

I tried to copy/paste the custom packages & custom maps into the UDK Game\Content folder, but when I ran Unreal Dev Kit and tried opening the custom packages\Chapter 3 it said that there was nothing to show, to check my filter. I am not sure what that means. Also, I am currently installing steam (UT3) game that came with the book. I can't seem to find My games under My Documents folder. I have Windows 7. THe book says to copy paste the custom packages and custom maps in this directory (i can't find it anywhere; can it be because I have not finished installing UT3?)

My Documents\My Games\Unreal Tournament 3\UTGame\Unpublished\CookedPC

Comment

Working...
      X