How do I move levels ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I move levels ???

When I add levels using the level browser, each of them stacks over each other,
    How can I move the place where I can stream the level ?

Or can I move the whole level once it is added ? the offset options in properties only works with the actors but some brushes dont move with that

Some one...........tasuketeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee ! XD

Nvm I fixed it

Comment

perhaps share the info for anyone that might be interested, or will search for this in the future?

Comment

Interesting, I played with the offset feature and it does indeed offset the levels, however the overall grid limitation still seems to be in effect so... not really sure what you gain by doing that. I can offset one level to be outside the grid, but I can never reach it since it kills the player at the edge of the grid. AFAIK, there's no way around this, so offsetting seems kind of useless?

Comment

Originally posted by danimal' View Post
          Interesting, I played with the offset feature and it does indeed offset the levels, however the overall grid limitation still seems to be in effect so... not really sure what you gain by doing that. I can offset one level to be outside the grid, but I can never reach it since it kills the player at the edge of the grid. AFAIK, there's no way around this, so offsetting seems kind of useless?
          I would also like to know how N3M3SIS fixed the problem.

And presumably the offset feature could be useful if you were trying to generate a map constructed procedurally of small level segments. I haven't tried it, but I would imagine that you could make some series of puzzle/trap rooms and arrange them in different ways if the offset works properly.

Comment

I was reading a couple of tutorials and they said that is the best to fade the cammera with a matinee and do your level streamings while the player is like that. They used that for gears of war so I didn't doubt that it was the way to go around the level stacking problem.

Sorry to dissapoint everyone if u thought it was actually moving the levels

Comment

One interesting thing I found when looking into this is that there's such a thing as a LevelGridVolume. You can make a volume and apparently specify how it is subdivided into squares or hexagons. It automatically creates sublevels based on where actors are in a level, and is apparently supposed to handle streaming those levels in, but I could not get it to work in practice. Plus, I would guess that it would be even more "fixed" than normal streaming in that you have to set it up ahead of time. If anyone has any information on this, feel free to post it, since Google barely even seems to know about it.

Comment

Yeah, What I was initially trying to do was to (in a sidescroller) to stream the levels before the players could "reach them" while evading to have to use a loading screen of some kind of game pause

For example in world 1(composed by 3 levels), stream level 2 before they finish level 1 and stream level 3 before level 2 is finished

But I guess now I will have to load world by world to reduce "fade black screens of loading" (fading the screen so that the player wont see the level disappearing and reappering)
                Since it is a sidescroller I dont think it will have a great impact in the hardware of the player

Comment

Originally posted by N3M3SIS View Post
                  Yeah, What I was initially trying to do was to (in a sidescroller) to stream the levels before the players could "reach them" while evading to have to use a loading screen of some kind of game pause

For example in world 1(composed by 3 levels), stream level 2 before they finish level 1 and stream level 3 before level 2 is finished
                  I think you should be able to do that, without a loading screen, and even without any sort of level offset, as long as all of your levels put together fit within the world grid bounds.

The only showstopper that people have been discussing is what happens if all of your levels put together are more than 500,000 units or so long. In that case some sort of warping/teleportation would be needed unless Epic comes up with a workaround, and I have not seen any feedback from them on this particular issue. Portals could potentially help, but you would still have the problem of the "corners" where two portals meet looking bad, since I think the native code restricts portals from rendering the second portal through the first portal (kind of hard to explain but I could try to make a picture if needed).

Comment

Working...
                  X