Quick Stencil Shadow question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quick Stencil Shadow question

Hi. I have a standard point light in a scene. The point light is surrounded by a fence and when I have the light selected it shows these nice stencil shadows on the BSP and static meshes, but if I deselect the light, those shadows go away. If I build the lighting, they are not there either. How do I make those shadows appear in game. I tried increasing the lightmap resolution and also tried setting it to fore dynamic, but neither worked. Here's what it looks like when it's selected.

Thanks

UDK's lightmass will not give those strong shadows, because when using lightmass, the light does not emanate from just 1 point, the light has a volume, hence the name "lightmass."

When you select the point light, do you see that yellow wireframe circle around it? that is actually the size of the sphere that lightmass uses. light rays come out of every point in that sphere. This means that those hard shadows are basically cancelled out, because other light rays can hit the shadowed areas at different angles and light the area up.

Your best option is to double click on the light, this brings up its properties. Under the "lightmass" section, there is an option that changes the radius of the lightmass sphere around the light. If you decrease this to a very small circle, you should retain those hard shadows, but keep the niceness of the lightmass lighting model.

Failing that, you can do this: When you build lighting, uncheck the box that says "lightmass." Or, another option is to select "force dynamic light" option in the light's properties, if there are other lights in the scene that you want to use lightmass for. Please be aware that there is a performance cost to using a dynamic light.

Comment

Worked like a charm! Thanks. Very informative post.

Comment

I am having this issue with the Aug version of UDK, does any one have a solution because the above is not working.

Comment

Working...
        X