Announcement

Collapse

The Infinity Blade Forums Have Moved

We've launched brand new Infinity Blade forums with improved features and revamped layout. We've also included a complete archive of the previous posts. Come check out the new Infinity Blade forums.
See more
See less

Grass any idea's?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grass any idea's?

Ok all I'm building a suburban environment. At the moment the level design is inspired by games like Resident Evil, Alan Wake.

I'm not wanting over the top grass everywhere at the moment but mainly looking for something I can use within smaller spaces like small park's.

Also if there's any texture collecting then I'm doing that manually since trying to get all work done as my own to help me complete my game, to avoid any copyright issue's.

Bump mainly because I could do with some info on this.

Comment

Originally posted by ronnie42 View Post
      Bump mainly because I could do with some info on this.
      Sorry Bump

Comment

You aren't supposed to bump your thread every 15 minutes. It's stupid and irritating.
        Personally I'd first model some clumps of grass in 3ds Max (there are plugins for that) and then render a texture out of them. That way you'd get the colour map and alpha map easily. Then just apply your newly rendered textures to a simple 2d plane and make more grass.

Comment

Or you could just take a picture of some grass, tweak it in photoshop, and use it in your map. Unless of course you actually want blades of grass in which case I would still just use the picture for a texture and then have a couple of patches of grass here and there to cut down on the poly count while still having a somewhat realistic look to it. You could simply use the add foliage feature on a terrain to get a few patches of grass to add to your texture. I am not the greatest at using the UDK yet so you may have thought of this and ruled it out but I know sometimes when I am working hard on something I overlook some simpler ways to achieve the same affect so I thought I would mention this anyway.

Please share your approach and a screenshot if you don't mind, I am always looking for new ways to do the same old stuff.

Comment

I heard about photoshop grass but they end like this.

But I was aiming for something like this.

Which I can is resource hungry for large environment's but was going to use it for smaller environments.

Comment

Try foliage factory brush

Comment

Heard it was under Volumes but don't see that under March 2011 build.

Comment

Follow this tut http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3e3UEGl7YDA
                  instead of falling rain texture use grass texture and dont put plain all over the sky like he did for rain. just put the height and length for how long you wan your grass to be

Comment

I'm slightly confused here but what's rain go to do with grass?

Comment

Originally posted by ronnie42 View Post
                      I'm slightly confused here but what's rain go to do with grass?
                      this video is just to show you what you should do. instead of rain material(like he did in the tut) put your grass material on planes. make theyr height lets say 0.5 meters and length for how long your park will be long

Comment

Search for Grass in the contect browser with the Static Mesh filter on.

There is a Static Mesh for grass made by Epic that works well for what you want. Just place it wherver you want.

Comment

He is saying to make billboard grass texture and apply them to a simple plane mesh.

I would recommend you make a custom static mesh in 3ds max, but instead of just being one plane, you make a cluster of grass billboard planes. This way its a lot easier to place the grass using clusters rather then one plane at a time. Not only is this faster, but you can generated LODs where you can remove lets say 50% of the planes and make the other 50% slightly wider to cover the area a bit more, and also give the LOD version a simplified material which will help with performance. Thats how I did it.

Comment

Originally posted by Havoc89 View Post
                            He is saying to make billboard grass texture and apply them to a simple plane mesh.

I would recommend you make a custom static mesh in 3ds max, but instead of just being one plane, you make a cluster of grass billboard planes. This way its a lot easier to place the grass using clusters rather then one plane at a time. Not only is this faster, but you can generated LODs where you can remove lets say 50% of the planes and make the other 50% slightly wider to cover the area a bit more, and also give the LOD version a simplified material which will help with performance. Thats how I did it.
                            How does one make a "billboard" plane in 3ds max for a static mesh? Is there a way to make a static mesh that will always appear to face the camera like a billboard, for things like grass?

Comment

Its not worth making it a camera facing type system. Just make a few planes in random rotation, and scale in a cluster. Make your grass plane material double sided and you wont have to worry about camera facing and making a shader be so complex. Plus you wouldnt want to have moving grass, it would look really wierd.

Comment

Working...
                              X