Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to replace the character actor as an aircraft

Hello all,

I am trying to create a top down shooter, similar to the Soviet Strike series on the original PSX http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ij4Fnc9HnI4

What I am unsure of however, is how to replace the bot you play as by default, and use an aircraft instead. I have the .ase for a harrier jet, but do not know how to spawn as the aircraft.

Furthermore, could any of you point me in the correct direction of a tutorial on how to program the feel of an aircraft?

Much appreciated,

-Dave

Replacing the default robot is just a matter of pointing your Pawn's SkeletalMeshComponent to a new SkeletalMesh from the content browser. ASE will not do for this--you will need to export the craft as a SkeletalMesh using either ActorX or FBX.

Comment

Originally posted by SeanO'Connor View Post
      Replacing the default robot is just a matter of pointing your Pawn's SkeletalMeshComponent to a new SkeletalMesh from the content browser. ASE will not do for this--you will need to export the craft as a SkeletalMesh using either ActorX or FBX.
      So an FBX will work just as ActorX? I commonly export models as .FBX because the materials come over from MAX as well, (minus transparent maps).

And how do I alter the pawn's skeletal mesh component? Is it in a text document I can edit?

Comment

FBX can do what ActorX can, but personally I prefer ActorX. I have had much better luck with it, and it feels more stable. I typically only use FBX for static mesh.

I am assuming you are using UTPawn, which complicates the SkeletalMesh assignment by using UT families and such. I would recommend making a new pawn from scratch (most of UTPawn will be useless to an aircraft anyway). However, if you just want to quickly see your mesh, open UTFamilyInfo_Liandri_Male.uc and change this line:
        Code:
        CharacterMesh=SkeletalMesh'CH_LIAM_Cathode.Mesh.SK_CH_LIAM_Cathode'
        to this:
        Code:
        CharacterMesh=SkeletalMesh'Path to your SkeletalMesh'
        Quick tip, you can easily get the path needed above by right clicking your SkeletalMesh in the content browser and selecting Copy Full Path to Clipboard.

The real thing will require you to dive deeper though, as in creating a custom pawn class and telling the game to use it. I would definitely recommend starting with Hourences' tutorial here: http://www.hourences.com/an-entire-simple-udk-game/

Comment

Perfect, that was exactly what I've been looking for! I'm still very new to the programming side of things, especially with UnrealScript, so I've been reading all of the tutorials I can find. Hourences has a number of great ones so I'll definitely head over there for that one. Thanks again!

Comment

Working...
          X