Bioshock-Inspired Level Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bioshock-Inspired Level Questions

My plan is to start working on a Bioshock inspired level after school ends (May 25th), but I want to start taking notes down now and get a little help from the community. I basically want to create a building that's surround by water without having it flood the entire building. I'm not to sure how to go about doing this, but if anyone can guide me I'd greatly appreciate it! Then I wanted to add little things to the outside water such as bubbles & fishes which would make the water a little more interesting. Again though, I'm not too sure how to go about doing this, but I think it would be a fun summer project to do. Thanks again so much for your time guys and hopefully you can assist this poor soul!

Nick

Hey Nick,

Is this going to be a playable map? If so then are you going only be fighting within the building or fighting outside (water).

As for the water you can easily fake it by making fog, and changing the gravity do simulate water. For your bubbles and fishes you would just have to use particles to get those to show up.

Comment

Yes,use UDK.

Comment

Thanks for the response Elyk. I mostly want this to be a quick environment, not so much a map. I basically want to see if I can pull this off on my own haha. Also, when you say "As for the water you can easily fake it by making fog, and changing the gravity do simulate water", how exactly would I go about doing this? I'm really new with UDK so I'm not even to sure how to obtain fog lol =p. Thanks again for your time.

Comment

You can create fog and gravity effects using Volumes. I cant remember exactly how, but I think theres a "physics volume" (for the gravity) and also fog volume (for errrrm....lol). I cant remember how to make the fog show up though.

You can do some awsome stuff visually in UDK. I always say that to do the COOL stuff, you need to learn unreal script, but thats not true in a sense, because you dont really need any programming "know how" to make a level that looks so beautiful that you just cant put it into words!

I've been telling my old mate: "If you can picture something in your head, then you can probably make it in UDK"

Comment

Fog volumes use static meshes. Place a static mesh in your map then find FogVolumeConstantDensityInfo in the actor classes browser. In its properties add the static mesh to FogVolumeActors. Then, play with the other properties till you get the effect you want.

Personally, I'd use a heightfog and some clever level design. For example, if I make the heightfog start at 8192 units from the camera then never have a line of sight longer than that, nobody would ever know.

I'd be interested to know exactly how Bioshock did it though, their water definitely didn't look like fog.

Comment

Thats because there was no water. Just empty space. The skybox was blue, and the sand was a dark blend between blue and "sand" color lol. Possibly by blue lighting on the outside. Also, right outside of the windows their where particles, "bubbles". Just to make it easier on you and your game. Rather then making a massive volume. Just make a blue skybox and your sand. Then play with particles and such. Just my thoughts on the subject. Bioshock is one of my favorites.

Comment

There's of course also a lot of materials made to make it look like water.

Comment

Content Browser - Tab that reads "Actor Classes" - Fog something, "spherical".

Then make it bigger, and alter it a bit and you have some real murky atmosphere. Couple that with a waving brush and you are set.

Comment

Working...
                  X