How do you make things ALWAYS line up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you make things ALWAYS line up?

I always had this little problem with the UnrealEd interface, where I'd be making a few rooms, some walls, and just placing stuff around, but I'd soon start noticing, that even though I have "grid snapping" enabled, everything seems to be "off-grid". Say I have a blank slate, with nothing but the initial builder brush cube; I hit resize mode, and begin to scale up the brush. By the time I have the brush at a good size, I notice the edges of the brush (Or ANYTHING I care to resize, move etc) are anywhere between 1 nanometer (lol) to half a grid measure out of place.

The annoying thing about this, is that to correct it, I have to zoom in to pretty much maximum, and disable grid snapping, and try to carefully move the object back in line, with all the precision of a bleeding micro-surgeon!

This happens, literally ALL THE TIME, in practically every map I've ever made, in every version of the editor right back since UT99!

Maybe this is not important to most level designers, but I've decided I want everything to be flush. Thats how things have to be when Im at work putting kitchens and interiors together, and I've got a feeling there'll be less BSP errors, if nothing is overlapping, or leaking into eachother.

Please, there has to be a simple way to permenantly circumvent this, and I've just been completely overlooking it all these years!

Select a vertex, right-click on it and will definitely snap to grid. Always has been like that.

Comment

It sounds like you're using the scale tool to enlarge the builder brush. That probably means its being scaled by uneven amounts. I'd suggest you use the brush builder tool to create your brushes.
      right click on the cube on the left hand side.
      This opens the brush builder.
      Type in a multiple of your grid size. The default grid size is 16. I'd suggest trying 128/256/512/1024/2048 to start with and just increment by 16 each time till you get the correct size.

Comment

Or hold CTRL while moving a vertex in geometry mode to assure it snaps to grid. (Or am I confusing that with Blender now?)

Comment

Cool thanks for the replies! Your right, I've been resizing the brush itself, using the scale tool. Some really useful tips here, thanks again!

Comment

**** I cant get this to work with UT2004. Right clicking a virtex does make the brush move, but it just moves to another "out of line" place. If the brush is out of line by say 1 unreal unit, and I have grid snapping set at 4 units, right clicking the vertex moves the brush 4 units but still out of place LOL (Im finding this pretty hard to explain, even though what Im trying to say is simple!).

Comment

Originally posted by shuriken88 View Post
              **** I cant get this to work with UT2004. Right clicking a virtex does make the brush move, but it just moves to another "out of line" place. If the brush is out of line by say 1 unreal unit, and I have grid snapping set at 4 units, right clicking the vertex moves the brush 4 units but still out of place LOL (Im finding this pretty hard to explain, even though what Im trying to say is simple!).
              That is why you should always use even ammounts for the sizes of the brush. If you don't, it's impossible to make it really snap. You can approximate a snapping by lowering the drag grid (at the lower right) to 1 and moving your mesh or brush, but it only approximates and is not good for light building. You should stick to powers of 2 for sizes. The size tool should only be used for things that you don't care if they snap or they don't. For example, if you wan't to place stones in a level, or huge mountains, you can just use the tool. Otherwise, stick to even numbers. Also, the software in which you did your meshes should have its grid setup accordingly to UDK. This is explained in many posts in this forum.

Hope it helps.

Comment

Working...
              X