Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Elevator with skeletalmesh and physicsasset

Hi
    I'm making an elevator which is going to simply move up and down with an animation. Because it's a skeletalmesh, I use a physics asset to set the collision and this works just fine, it's just that when the elevator moves up it doesn't push the player up, it just goes through him. This doesn't happen if I move back and forth for some reason and I'm guessing it has something to do with it not updating to the players position, because if I stop moving, I fall through.

Any suggestions? (Don't tell me to use Matinee with a static mesh, I want a moving skeletalmesh with collisions.)

http://www.moug-portfolio.info/index...oving-platform

This works for me, so i guess it should work for you too.

Comment

Originally posted by rogacz View Post
      http://www.moug-portfolio.info/index...oving-platform

This works for me, so i guess it should work for you too.
      That is using a static mesh. A skeletalmesh doesn't work like that, and I really want to solve this without writing any code.

Comment

I really don't see why you NEED a skeletal mesh.

Comment

^ what Mougli said.

I don't know a way to do this properly using Skeletal mesh, but it really sounds like a wrong and complicated hack.

As for coding a custom actor with static mesh, it might take several hours but
          1. You can go crazy with customizing it later, which will pay off on Level Design stage. For example, add several lines of code and now any time you place an elevator, you can select its speed and/or amount of floors it can move with just one number in Editor properties.

2. That code with slight modifications can be reused for many similar objects. I was able to create several different objects (moving security lasers, background conveyer equipment etc) all based on the code of elevator platform.
          (Thank you Mougli, by the way).

Not that useful if you have only 1 elevator in the whole level/game, but otherwise you might want to rethink your stance about code+static mesh approach.

Comment

I know it's kind of silly to do an elevator like this but imagine it moving in a weird way that I can't replicate in matinee. Is there really no way of updating the collisionboxes so that it lifts the player? Collisions work just fine when it's moving downwards.

Comment

How can't you replicate your animation in matinee? Anyway, if your player is meant to be on the platform, you need to soft attach him to the elevator.

Comment

Move Platform to location

Hello, I am developing a game with a moving platform that needs to take a vector input and go to that position

I have tried every way, but it is not working. I am using the platform tutorial made by Mougli.

delta_distance = (DeltaTime) * MovementSpeed;
                d.Z = delta_distance;

How can I make the platform go to a certain input vector location? When I try to make it go to a certain vector location, it just floats off into random space. I want to modify it so that it will go to a vector of my choosing.

Can this be done?

Thank you very much.

Comment

Still working on it

I want to specify a vector location ex. (10,20,10) and have the platform go to that location.

Can this be done? I have thought of it and still haven't come up with anything.

Comment

Any suggestions?

Any suggestions on how I could implement this?

Comment

Originally posted by Gurkan View Post
                      Hi
                      I'm making an elevator which is going to simply move up and down with an animation. Because it's a skeletalmesh, I use a physics asset to set the collision and this works just fine, it's just that when the elevator moves up it doesn't push the player up, it just goes through him. This doesn't happen if I move back and forth for some reason and I'm guessing it has something to do with it not updating to the players position, because if I stop moving, I fall through.

Any suggestions? (Don't tell me to use Matinee with a static mesh, I want a moving skeletalmesh with collisions.)
                      Is this a platform or a full blown elevator? Just trying to figure out why U need a skeletal mesh...U could place(Hide) a static mesh at the floor of the elevator...and move it at the same time as the skeletal mesh...that should help with the collision

Comment

What I was trying to implement is a moving platform that takes an input vector and goes to that location.

I want to be able to right click on the game world (and I have that code in-place), and have the vector coordinates sent to the platform so that the platform will move to that location.

Can it be done?

Comment

Working...
                        X