Almost there with Lightmass!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    horoxhoro I don't think so ... it is just for the baking of the light ... the lightmap resolution will stay the same, so the realtime performance should be the same ... correct me someone if Iam mistaken.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    if mod the setting like NumHemisphereSampleScale, NumimportanceSearchPhotonsScale and NumDirectPhotonsScale..will it affect perfomance?not build time..i mean realtime performance.

thankssssss

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Thank you UnWheelModeller : D

Leave a comment:

• replied
    UDK-2011-02\Engine\Config\BaseLightmass.ini

Leave a comment:

• replied
    nicee!!! very clean!! can share all the setting you have mod?

the problem with your wall is uvs seams which is a hardest part in gaming industry they also make their effort to hide it from camera view.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Where would you find these settings "NumHemisphereSampleScale, NumimportanceSearchPhotonsScale and NumDirectPhotonsScale" as i did a search in the world properties and in the light actors and i dont see them.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I've learned a lot from this...
    also rendering my sunlight through window simulation with 0.25 lightingscaleresolution...
    The results are great, It took me 8 minutes with 6 core AMD processor to calculated lightmasses...

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I do apologize for the delayed response, been extremely busy trying to get this product up and running.

It's kind of a bummer that there is really no way of controlling GI within UDK, other than adjusting StaticLightingLevelScale and of course the lighting build quality. In our case, we have a 64 node render farm, so build times are not really an issues. The quality of the lighting however is very important.

The only info I managed to gather was to reduce the StaticLightingLevelScale. So I did, instead of the default 1, I went to about 0.1 and even lower. By doing this, Lightmass did produce much better GI but at the cost of major artefacts that you can see from my previous post. Now i'm not an expert at GI, but I had a feeling this had to do with not enough sample being taken, or photons being emitted. By increasing NumHemisphereSampleScale, NumimportanceSearchPhotonsScale and NumDirectPhotonsScale the artefacts went away. I also doubled( at least) the values withing production quality build.

Sorry for the quick post, have to get back to work

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I joint the movement for sharing. Yes Please Mr. Share with us, your results are very very good

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Yes, please do!

cc

Leave a comment:

• replied
    yes, please share!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Id be happy to know what lightmass settings were used? I can never get anything to look that good, as what you have looks great!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Well I managed to remove all that "dirt/spots" that Lightmass was producing. I think I have reached the limit of what Lightmass can produce with the tools and documentation that we are provided with. There is still a few things i'd like to tweak, such as the corners of the walls, but this can wait. Thanks for all the input!

Untitled by Norbi905, on Flickr

Leave a comment:

• replied
    yeaa im doing visualization too by using UDk..arch viz is have to be clean which is udk very hard to achieve that...if using too high resolution on lightmap its cos performance issues....

cheers good luck =)

Leave a comment:

• replied
    If your looking for a top notch quality arch vis render out of udk, then I think your going to need to look at prebaking some sort of lighting/occlusion into your textures. Or at the very least an occlusion map that you can multiply over your diffuse in your material. There was a thread awhile back that kinda got into getting good GI solutions for arch-vis, and frankly there didn't seem to be a really good solution. This is coming from someone with a pretty solid, professional background in architectural visualization, with years of experience in the field.

IMO, UDK, in its current iteration is kinda how GI renderers we're in their early stages. Can get pretty good splotch free solutions in exterior scenes, with alot of direct light and maybe one bounce of GI, but interiors, and their need for multiple secondary bounces, is where they start to stumble, with the splotches/noise.

Your screenshot above, looks pretty darn decent actually. It could be Brazil, before they included irradiance caching/mapping. Someone may correct me if I'm wrong, but I think UDK uses photon mapping in their GI engine, which is kinda old and busted technology at this point.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X