Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you change the walk speed of your character ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you change the walk speed of your character ?

Hello community, this is my first topic on the forum.

I'm working on a project for architectural visualization and as the player is a robot in UDK, I need to slow him down a bit to accommodate his walk to the environment.

Does anybody know how should I proceed via Kismet for example.

Thank you.

console command "setspeed *number*".

Comment

and here's a pic of what that looks like in Kismet, change ToggleHUD to SetSpeed. I like 0.3 It's a nice slow, walking pace. Good for realistic proportioned interiors.

Comment

It works using the following Kismet sequence set up:

I tried it with a level loaded event which would of been more efficient but for some reason wasn't working. If you want to experiment with that feel free (if you manage to get it to work please respond here annotating your success).

Just incase:

Add a trigger to your level
        Go into Kismet and right click > New Event Using Trigger_# > Touch
        Right Click > New Action > Console Command
        Put Touched into In of the Console Command action
        Right Click > New Variable > Player > Player
        Plug the Player var. into the Target of your Console Command action
        Ensure you spawn in the triggers radius (can be adjusted in it's properties) by placing the spawn point within it

EDIT

See above for a better, more efficient way. I'm still learning UDK & Kismet so excuse me ^_^

Comment

It won't work with a level loaded event because the player hasn't spawned yet.

Comment

Thank you everybody, your help is greatly appreciated.
            I used the following, it works with New Action > Player > Player spawned as well as Level loaded linking the Level reset as shown bellow.

Thank you

Comment

Another way that should be mentioned is through editing the UTPawn.uc file.

In your UDK folder, go to ..\Development\Src\UTGame\Classes\UTPawn.uc

After opening, do a control+F and in the find box type "GroundSpeed"

There should be 4 occurrences of the word if you're using default UT code, but it's somewhere around line 5460. This is what's surrounding that line:

WalkingPct=+0.4
              CrouchedPct=+0.4
              BaseEyeHeight=38.0
              EyeHeight=50.0
              GroundSpeed=300.0
              AirSpeed=325.0
              WaterSpeed=220.0
              DodgeSpeed=600.0
              DodgeSpeedZ=295.0
              AccelRate=2048.0
              JumpZ=450.0
              CrouchHeight=29.0
              CrouchRadius=21.0
              WalkableFloorZ=0.78
              GroundSpeed controls the speed of your character movement. Lower that number to slow him down. This is also important to mention because as you can see, it's easy to edit a lot of other properties surrounding the player. All without trying to figure out which kismet nodes and sequences and console commands need tied together.

Note for clarification: after editing this file you have to close your UDK and restart it. It will ask you to rebuild scripts - click Yes. After it finishes, restart the editor a 2nd time to load it up with the changes.

Comment

awesome! nice info ...learn something new today..

thanks guys

Comment

Originally posted by Zach Lehman View Post
                  Another way that should be mentioned is through editing the UTPawn.uc file.

In your UDK folder, go to ..\Development\Src\UTGame\Classes\UTPawn.uc

After opening, do a control+F and in the find box type "GroundSpeed"

There should be 4 occurrences of the word if you're using default UT code, but it's somewhere around line 5460. This is what's surrounding that line:

GroundSpeed controls the speed of your character movement. Lower that number to slow him down. This is also important to mention because as you can see, it's easy to edit a lot of other properties surrounding the player. All without trying to figure out which kismet nodes and sequences and console commands need tied together.

Note for clarification: after editing this file you have to close your UDK and restart it. It will ask you to rebuild scripts - click Yes. After it finishes, restart the editor a 2nd time to load it up with the changes.
                  Very good information thank you.

Comment

Thank you Zach

Comment

I believe the June update has broken this!

I had the Kismet->ConsoleCommand solution set up.

It seems that the console command does not work (even in game) anymore.

I know they removed the "ut3" movement (running at maniac speeds, double jump etc)

Anyone else experiencing this?!

Comment

Also it seems that "Play Announcement" is not functioning either.

I had it set up to where you could enter a trigger volume and text would appear on-screen.

Considering making a bug report.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexotronic View Post
                          I believe the June update has broken this!

I had the Kismet->ConsoleCommand solution set up.

It seems that the console command does not work (even in game) anymore.

I know they removed the "ut3" movement (running at maniac speeds, double jump etc)

Anyone else experiencing this?!
                          Console commands still work fine for me.

Comment

Not working for me either, editing the values in UTPawn.uc doesn't make a difference either, any progress here?

Comment

Originally posted by Alexotronic View Post
                              Also it seems that "Play Announcement" is not functioning either.

I had it set up to where you could enter a trigger volume and text would appear on-screen.

Considering making a bug report.
                              Are you using the default gametype the newer versions of UDK start you in? You have to go to view>world properties and change the gametype to one that has a HUD. Without a HUD you won't see those announcements.

Comment

Working...
                              X