Material help - Glowing night sights semi working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Material help - Glowing night sights semi working

I am trying to make a weapon night sight that glows in the dark, but doesn't when in light. I have a material setup that sort of works at this point, but hit a dead end to get any further. What I have now operates backwards to what it should..... It gets more glowy in light and less glowy as it moves away from a light. Current material setup attached.

Anyone have any ideas how to make this work?
    Attached Files

Multiply everything by -1 or maybe just the part the 'senses' light.

I'm getting at making it output the opposite result, what I have above might not work at all.

Comment

Um... Shouldn't that chain go to the "Emissive" channel?

Comment

Yeah you seem to have gone about this in a needlessly complicated way. You should just link up a Diffuse (not necessarily though), Opacity and Emissive

Comment

Did some more testing and a couple things became apparent.....

I should have known this, but the LightVector node is only evaluating if the material is facing a light source, and really doesn't take into account the amount of light it is in. If I rotate the object with the material around the effect works by fading between the 2 Lerp inputs. But it's still backwards. It glows if facing the lightsource and doesn't glow if facing away. If I swap the inputs nothing changes. If I add a OneMinus after the last Lerp it just inverts the colors of the texture.

As for using the Diffuse input rather than the Emissive, I do that because Emissive doesn't utilize lighting info and therefore wouldn't take any lighting evaluation into account.

@Shindawg: I don't know of a simpler way to attempt it. I'd take a more complicated way if it worked, but maybe you aren't understanding the desired end result. I don't want just a simple material that is emissive. I want that glowy part to show up when in dark areas but go away when in light areas. Same as anything that "glows in the dark" does.

Comment

Ok, got it to work. Attached is my final material setup... very close to what I had before.

However, once thing that is required to make it work is the map must have a Skylight present. It can be almost black and0.1 in intensity, but it needs to be there and have some value. I have absolutely no idea why this is the case, but after lots of research this point came up as a requirement.

This isn't going to work for glow in the dark material because it only takes the direction to a light source into account. So you can have a sphere with the material on it in a full lit map and the backside of the sphere (away from the lightsource) will glow.

A neat material that has some interesting uses, but I'm still looking for a way to do a true glow in the dark material. I'm starting to think I need to use a SceneTexture, desaturate it then figure out a way to sample that somehow to figure out if I am in light or dark areas. Complicated!
            Attached Files

Comment

Ooh I see what you mean now a bit of an undertaking, but you really gotta put up a video or something when you get it working!

Comment

Working...
              X