Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Elemental Level Design Contest

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Elemental Level Design Contest

    You may submit any kind of level be it competitive, casual, single player, or any other classification you pick.
    One submission per-person, no teams.
    Submit your map in as its own .exe file cooked and packaged properly, make sure that it is all working before submitting.
    All three sections will have three winners. 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place.
    The winners form each section will be given another month to finish off and polish their levels to AAA quality.
    The levels will be submited to a group of judges.
    The less issues the map has the better it is ranked. There will be two winners from the overall compitionion; Grand prize and Runner up.

    Prizes are as follows:
    Three sections will be given
    1st:GoW & Bulletstorm Merchandise Packages
    2nd:GoW Merchandise Package
    3rd:Bulletstorm Merchandise Package

    Grand prize for the overall compition will be: A copy of GoW 3
    Runner up for the overall compition will receive: A copy of Bulletstorm



    Section 1:Air/Space themed map


    Section 2:Earth/Vegetation themed map


    Section 3:Water/Fire themed map

    Judges:
    ambershee
    Piranhi
    Max Power

    Do NOT ask to become a a judge, those who are judges have been selected for their knowledge and understanding of the Unreal Engine.

    If you have any questions or comments post them here.


    THE CONTEST IS OVER

    Winner: Pazd
    Link to Map: http://uploading.com/files/55mdba7a/...-Starport.exe/

    #2
    Can we use the assets shipped with UDK or are somewhat 100% custom assets required?

    Does "air/space" and "water/fire" mean both or either of out own choosing? How loose are the theme restrictions? Can "space" mean "spaceship" or "space science center" for instance?

    Level gameplay based on the demo UDK game or anything we conjure up?

    Seems like a nice competition, hopefully I'm not too busy in the next few months. :P

    Comment


      #3
      This seems like it could be fun, I've just got into UDK and 3D modelling in general this might help me push myself to learn more about Modelling, texturing and learning UDK.

      I'm in.

      One question though, I take it after we have finished each phase we will have to upload the map and content so in total we will have to submit 3 different forms one for the Block-Out, one for the Mesh/Lit and then one when its finished?

      Um one more Q, Would texturing fall into the mesh/lit phase?

      Thanks

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by musilowski View Post
        Can we use the assets shipped with UDK or are somewhat 100% custom assets required?

        Does "air/space" and "water/fire" mean both or either of out own choosing? How loose are the theme restrictions? Can "space" mean "spaceship" or "space science center" for instance?

        Level gameplay based on the demo UDK game or anything we conjure up?

        Seems like a nice competition, hopefully I'm not too busy in the next few months. :P
        100% would be cool and probably get you a higher score, but it's understandable to use the content shipped with UDK. You can do any combination/segregation of themes you wish. Just make sure that it's clear from both the map and submission form which section you're competing it.



        Originally posted by Coxy View Post
        This seems like it could be fun, I've just got into UDK and 3D modelling in general this might help me push myself to learn more about Modelling, texturing and learning UDK.

        I'm in.

        One question though, I take it after we have finished each phase we will have to upload the map and content so in total we will have to submit 3 different forms one for the Block-Out, one for the Mesh/Lit and then one when its finished?

        Um one more Q, Would texturing fall into the mesh/lit phase?

        Thanks
        Pick a section and then have your three stages of development in by the deadlines, in short yes.

        If it was limited texturing(dev textures) that made clear what parts of the map are going to be(usually only for the LD's benefit) that's fine, Otherwise textures should wait for meshed/lit. This is to ensure a level playing field, at least for blockouts.

        Comment


          #5
          1. Does this have to be a first person shooter deathmatch type level or can we create our own gametypes?

          2. Is this an individual contest or can we work as a team?

          3. I think you answered this one in so many words, but if we miss a deadline are we disqualified?

          Comment


            #6
            I'm also interested to know if these maps have to be some specific gametype ie multiplayer deathmatch.

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by shatty View Post
              1. Does this have to be a first person shooter deathmatch type level or can we create our own gametypes?

              2. Is this an individual contest or can we work as a team?

              3. I think you answered this one in so many words, but if we miss a deadline are we disqualified?
              1) The levels are judged for level design, so if you want to create a game type or bring a game type from UT3, GoW, or whatever that's fine just make sure it's with the map when you submit it.

              2) The prizes are individual the merchandise packages could be split if you wanted too, the copy of GoW and Bulletstorm not so much. I'm going no teams for now, I'll get back to you with a definite answer.

              3) For the first one absolutely. The second and third may need adjusting based on how far along the block outs look and how many submissions there are. So, for this exact moment in time; yes.

              Comment


                #8
                can we make a udk mobile level for the contest?

                Comment


                  #9
                  My level is bieng built withing a game, so that would fall under the category of custom gametype but does it truly matter if it is in a game type? Or is it important so that way the flow of the level can be determined.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by percydaman View Post
                    can we make a udk mobile level for the contest?
                    Standard UDK only, you can use the mobile content, but the judges have to be able to play the level on their computers.

                    Originally posted by TheAgent View Post
                    My level is bieng built withing a game, so that would fall under the category of custom gametype but does it truly matter if it is in a game type? Or is it important so that way the flow of the level can be determined.
                    As long as it can be easily made to work with the 'vanilla' version of UDK it's fine.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Is there a limit on entries? Like for instance one entry per person/group?

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Yes, one entry per-person. No groups/teams though.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Where do we post WIP stuff? This thread? Make our own thread?

                          Comment


                            #14
                            You PM the judges before the deadline of each section, as posted.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by TheAgent View Post
                              You PM the judges before the deadline of each section, as posted.
                              That answers a submission question, I wasn't asking. But I guess I can infer from your answer that you're not going to setup any kind of forum infrastructure where people can see people's development as they continue along in the process.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X