Depth of field question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    And this is what I want to achieve: http://i561.photobucket.com/albums/s...ERA/fave22.jpg

It looks like the waterfalls are little blurred to give feel of distanced object but the sky is unblurred. I tried to play with DoF a little and I discovered that kernel size can be only 0.1 (which make sky still too blurry) if you put value less than 0.1 DoF disappear. And if you make the distance too far you wont achieve little blurred background simply because the DoF "wall" is too far. Thx for replies.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Yes, I do have system and graphic card that supports DX11. But Bokeh is just a texture effect which make specific feel of blurred image :/ . This is what Bokeh is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bokeh . It doesnt have much to do with what I want to achieve. Thx for reply.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Bokeh DOF is a DirectX 11 only feature. So to even access it I believe you have to have an operating system and graphics card that supports DirectX 11, along with it downloaded.
    To enable the DX11 renderer in the editor:
    View -> Preferences -> Enable DirectX 11 Rendering

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hi, Im not sure how to use, bokeh DOF but, Im pretty much sure that its not possible to make Unblurred-blurred-unblurred view.
    Anyway Thx for help. Ill be 1.wait when someone(epic) make shader like that I want(lol) 2.Help from someone else who might have good idea how to make it. In both ways it may take ages, so I decided to give up on this idea for now. Ill be satisfied with just little of blurr in distanced part of view.

Thx everyone for help.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    No problem bro. The release notes has more information. Goodluck!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Woow THX, you are most probably right, Ill get to it as soon as I have time for it and let you know. Right now, Im investigating some bugs with landscape editor. I probably seen that picture somwhere . Thanks again.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hey Janta I actually found exactly what you're looking for. It actually was added in the March UDK update.

However I believe this is only available with DirectX 11. And this is Bokeh Depth of Field. Here's the link to the release notes, scroll down to see image I posted. Hope this will help!
    http://www.udk.com/news-beta-mar2011

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Oh glad to hear that it is understandable, that post makes me dizzy too . I thought this effect is achievable when I took first look on Tera Online screenshots, it looks like there is DOF which blurs middle but sky is untouched by blur. In closer investigation I discovered there is just a little of DOF which doesnt affect sky too much. So I may be wrong from the start, Obihb was right. But if it is possible to do what Im looking for it would be really cool. Thank you for helping me guys.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    No we understand exactly what you mean Janta, we just haven't found an answer to if this is possible. Currently so far we think it's not.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I think, two volumes isnt the way it should be made, because there is still priority in postprocess volumes and priority cant be same. Even if two volumes at once would work it might have performance impact and I dont really know if you make blur only in middle distance... it makes only Blurred unblurred blurred distanced view. Im looking for Unblurred blurred unblurred. geez I hope someone will get the point, what Im trying to say with my lousy english

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Oh right duh, and there's no falloff setting that allows for a specified range inside a close and also a far plane. Bummer.

Edit: I remember I did the same thing actually, but disregarded it because while it made my clouds look "less sharp" it gave a somewhat appropriate "soften" feel to them that didn't seem to break immersion.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I don't believe that will have any effect, because PPVolumes activate when you're in them, so it won't display a different PostProcess at a distance.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Have you tried setting up two seperate post process volumes? This may or may not give you your desired result.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Thx for reply. I though so, I wanted to use depth of field but not for sky. When the sky is blurred too, it kinda looks like you have eye long distance disfunction. I wanted to shake this feel off by not using blur on sky just on distanced terrain. Well I guess Im going to leave the scene as it is like it was before.

To glra2222 : Nope I didnt but Im Curious too.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    has anyone tried depthoffieldfunction in the material editor? what does it actually do?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X