Unable to achieve stained glass effect

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    if anyone else is working on this I think I have the solution and am working on a tutorial.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by sky0103 View Post
    However the shadow is a blur. How can I make it sharp?
    Did you see the Lightmass page on UDN? In the section about translucent shadows it talks about the reasons that the shadow can be blurry.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    select floor hit f5, then put the lightres on a low nr 1 is the most sharpen, but is also heavy.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Here's what I did. The material is as described by daniwrig (lerp white, diffuse, opacity) plugged into emissive. It's a translucent and unlit material.

As you can see the light (normal directional light) did pass through the glass and casted a semi transparent (and colored) shadow on the ground. However the shadow is a blur. How can I make it sharp?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Thanks greatly for the input, guys. I manage to fake the effect using a light function. However it'd be nice to know how it can be achieved without faking it Good to know.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Hellclown View Post
    so, to get colored shadows from a translucent mesh you have to use a standard directional light?
    Standard directional, spot or point light, yes.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Oniram View Post
    in regards to this...

BLEND_Translucent and BLEND_Additive: Transmission = Lerp(White, Diffuse, Opacity)

does it get plugged into the opacity input of the material? or the diffuse?
    Both opacity and diffuse of the material are factors.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Piranhi View Post
    You could use a decal.
    Now that's a crazy suggestion

What is the problem with using light functions just as omegalith suggests? You don't get secondary diffuse bounces with translucency anyway.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    You could use a decal.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Am I crazy for just suggesting that you fake it using a light function?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by daniwrig View Post
    2 things here:

Dominant lights can't do translucent shadows in lightmaps as shown on the Lightmass page unfortunately. This is because dominant lights use distance field shadows for the shadow maps which don't support translucent shadows. In fact the only kinds of lights that you can get translucent shadows in the lightmaps is a vanilla Point, Spot or Directional light.

Light functions on dominant lights can only be greyscale which allows them to be rendered faster.
    so, to get colored shadows from a translucent mesh you have to use a standard directional light?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    in regards to this...

BLEND_Translucent and BLEND_Additive: Transmission = Lerp(White, Diffuse, Opacity)

does it get plugged into the opacity input of the material? or the diffuse?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    2 things here:

Dominant lights can't do translucent shadows in lightmaps as shown on the Lightmass page unfortunately. This is because dominant lights use distance field shadows for the shadow maps which don't support translucent shadows. In fact the only kinds of lights that you can get translucent shadows in the lightmaps is a vanilla Point, Spot or Directional light.

Light functions on dominant lights can only be greyscale which allows them to be rendered faster.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Does anyone here know of a better way? Would really appreciate it...

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hey there, ook. I saw this tutorial before, forgive me for being a bit slow, but I don't quite get this part:

Lit materials
    BLEND_Modulate: Transmission = Diffuse
    Unlit materials
    BLEND_Translucent and BLEND_Additive: Transmission = Lerp(White, Emissive, Opacity)
    BLEND_Modulate: Transmission = Emissive

I did as instructed and plugged the Lerps into the transmission color and it still doesn't work.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X