Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

High poly meshes directly into UDK

Hello everyone,
    Has been a while since I'm not using UDK anymore, but the latest features and license fee make me think about start using UDK again...
    Since I'm doing lots of Architectural Visualization walkthrough I switched to Lumion ( GPU based ) to do most of the job, since you can just export the whole scene and apply materials and you're done.

But since I want something customizable ( interactivity, custom menus, and so on... ) I want to use UDK, so I was wondering if is possible to use ( if someone already did that ) directly Archinteriors/exteriors/models, so the whole scene will be something like 7-8 milions polygons...
    Unfortunately I can't use UDK right now because my pc is under repair, but since I want to start aplying again with UDK this is a crucial point, since I don't want to do optimization for almost every single object ( usually about 500-1000 meshes )...

So, what can you tell me about that? fps will be terrible or is just not possible?

Thanks

It all depends on your scene and how well set up it is. For the record, many of the UT3 game maps that shipped with the product totalled around 3.5-4 million polygons.

Comment

Originally posted by ambershee View Post
      It all depends on your scene and how well set up it is. For the record, many of the UT3 game maps that shipped with the product totalled around 3.5-4 million polygons.
      Thanks for the answer

Consider that it will be all Architectural work, so this means quite big scenes where there will be lots of "small" meshes to fill the apartment, so couches, beds, lots of design meshes, and on the outside of the apartment some hig res meshes, like trees, grass, cars, walking people, and so on...

Just as an example, my 2 floors apartment is about 800k polys...

Comment

Well but the "use" your using it for "performance" seems less important.

IE if the user is going through an apartment, to view what it looks like and pay attention to detail. I don't think they are going to care their FPS just dropped 15 frames.

Whereas when your in full on high speed sprinting through a level with dynamic weapons, shooting and exploding, your FPS is a bit more important. lol

Nice thing with UDK is it only loads what the player will possible see, and it loads and uses static meshes in memory, this means reuse of static meshes start to help cut down on loading. For example make a single Queen size bed, then if it hits 3 bedrooms with queen beds it has the mesh loaded and calculated. Assuming the users machine is able to handle the memory.

Comment

Originally posted by mtcoder View Post
          Well but the "use" your using it for "performance" seems less important.

IE if the user is going through an apartment, to view what it looks like and pay attention to detail. I don't think they are going to care their FPS just dropped 15 frames.

Whereas when your in full on high speed sprinting through a level with dynamic weapons, shooting and exploding, your FPS is a bit more important. lol

Nice thing with UDK is it only loads what the player will possible see, and it loads and uses static meshes in memory, this means reuse of static meshes start to help cut down on loading. For example make a single Queen size bed, then if it hits 3 bedrooms with queen beds it has the mesh loaded and calculated. Assuming the users machine is able to handle the memory.
          Well, I'm design the visualization for machine capable of doing that, so yes, you'll need to have a quite good machine to run it, but the main point for me was to know if UDK is able to render and run this huge amount of polygons or not...

By the way, I was trying to import an Archinteriors scene into UDK...
          I exported a .DAE from Softimage and import the package from the content browser...but there are like 800 meshes...
          Is there a way to place all the meshes together inside the scene?? I searched on the forum and I found basically nothing, no one seems to care, but is there a batch importing or do I have to put, one by one, the meshes inside the scene? is **** boring

Comment

Working...
          X