Grouping without prefabs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grouping without prefabs?

Is it possible to group different static meshes without using prefab? Any kind of parent-child relationship?

Originally posted by MickeyB View Post
    Is it possible to group different static meshes without using prefab? Any kind of parent-child relationship?
    See the Group tab in the Content Browser.

Comment

Groups (as in the Group browser) aren't any sort of parenting relationship and have no effect in-game. They are mainly for organization and quick selections and toggling visibility. You can create parent-child relationship using the Base property in the Attachment category. However, this only takes effect during runtime, meaning if you select the parent in the editor and move it, the child will not move with it automatically.

Comment

Thanks. What I basically want to do is to create a elevator that is made out of several static meshes. I want to make the elevator move when triggered and I obviously want all the meshes to move together as an individul item.

My only problem with Prefab is that I'm asked to save it into a custom file, but when I reload the level it can't find the file and the entire prefab is gone.

Comment

I did manage to make prefabs work, but now when I try to use it for animation, it doesn't work. What is the best way to bundle together different meshes to work as one object for animation purposes?

Comment

Attachments using the Base property would make it so you could attach all the parts to one 'base' part and then animate that single item with Matinee and have them all move when triggered in-game. It's only when selecting int he viewport and moving the item that the children will not follow. That shouldn't matter for the animating since you are only animating the base item anyway, only for when/if you want to duplicate and move the item.

In short, use attachments for parenting and animation and if you want to make it easy to select all the parts of each elevator, put each one in a group in the Groups Browser. You could probably even go a step further and create a prefab out of it after attaching and animating it. Then the prefab could include the Matinee and it would really be an easily reusable, self-contained system.

Comment

Working...
            X