Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

carpaint shader in udk

hi. ive recently tried a lot and finally achieved this result:

the goal is to achieve metallic carpaint effect and so far i'm not satisfied with my results. does anyone have better idea to how to make less complex and more realistic metallic carpaint?

any comments and suggestions are welcome and even are required

p.s. sorry if i didn't post at the right place. i'm new at this forum. and also sorry for my bad english

cmon gyus noone interested to make a good racing game in udk? at least carpaint shader for car presentation?

Comment

I think it looks fine. You could probably exaggerate the specular a bit, so it stands out more. Maybe add some fresnel effect too.

But I think it looks great, the rims might need a bit more work. They seem too flat.

Comment

[SHOT]http://forums.beyondunreal.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=101652&d=1298913817[/SHOT]

We use a digital color for our paint, with a seperate material for details like door handles and lights. it makes it easy to get specular correct, as well as change paint color without a new texture. Send me a PM and I will give you the material setup.

For those who see no image, click signature below and scroll to bottom of page.
        Steven

Comment

looks nice. should show some more angles or maybe even a turntable anim. highly reflective materials are hard to gauge with regards to quality with only one angle.

Comment

It looks like you have reflection set up, but your image doesn't have it in an environment to reflect. It would make it easier to see what you need to improve on if we could see what you really have.

Comment

Yeah a reflection would help a lot to emphasise the metallic properties. You should maybe consider exaggerating the highlights with more specular map though, really blow it out and create hard edged whiteish highlights.

Comment

first of all thank you for your replies. i've posted a short video on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrxA6tqU360

this is vw jetta not audi because jetta uses just a diffuse color with mixed ambient occlusion on it. and audi uses full baked diffuse and normal from highpoly model. so i think it will be better if we discuss jetta instead of audi. i want to mention that these cars are in scene background at 5-10 meters away from camera.

Xendance

thanks. i tried fresnel and it looks almost same as without it. so i think lower the reflection is better than adding fresnel. IMHO

UnWheelModeller

i wrote 2 you in PM. yes i modeled high poly model first and used it for baking textures for low poly model. but this is old car. now i'm modelling low poly vehicle and than baking AO and adding to diffuse channel directly from that model. this is quite faster because you don't need model second-HighPoly model. but now i'm painting normal maps in photoshop(tires and e.t.c.), because there is no highpoly model. dunno which way is faster/better. but i think with second method i achieved satisfied results so far.

as environment mapping i've used built in unreal cubemaps(temporarily). and converted them to parameter. so every model in scene uses instanced material with parameters.

what about exaggerating higher than "1" specular or anything(but specular power, this one u can set even with 500 setting) inside the shader results glowing of the material in the scene when direct light source hits the object. or maybe im wrong?

again sorry for my bad english

Comment

Here is the material node setup for the color you see above, (the blue is a material Constant). I am posting in hopes of other suggestions in the node setup.

For those who see no image, click signature below and scroll to bottom of page.

Steven
                  [SHOT]http://forums.beyondunreal.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=101654&d=1298988459[/SHOT]

Comment

Please don't use BeyondUnreal attachments, you can't see them unless you have an account there.
                    Like me for example.

Comment

Very sorry Xendance, I didn't realise I was cutting people off.

Since I don't have the ability to link pictures from my web site, I can only link you to the page in my signature below. Go to the bottom for the two images.

Steven

Comment

Hey not bad bro.. the highlights aren't very crisp though, there are a few small dots here and there, but they are more of the diffused kind, although your mid lights have a nice edge mind. Mmm I'm not sure about spec power, but I would maybe just keep it simpler with just using specular map only. Take a look at this ref to see.. =) http://img231.imageshack.us/f/277382...10ofhxpo1.jpg/

Comment

UnWheelModeller

very good man. now i'm trying to optimize shader complexity and add flakes 2 my shader as you did. as soon as i finish i will post it here. experimenting...

Kungfoowiz

nice photo. is it your car? i see there is some HDRI effect on body reflection. implementing that effect in shader also

Comment

If you haven't already, you can improve the reflection highlights cheaply with simulated HDR.

Comment

hi everyone. i just finished metallic carpaint shader with hdr reflections.
                              check it out and lets discuss and optimize that to make as few nodes as possible without losing in quality.

UnWheelModeller

thanks mate for noise flakes idea. it looks great i think

Spoondog thanx for link. i've read that article a long ago and forgotten now i implemented nodes as it's shown to achieve hdr effect, without modification( i have onother ideas how to make hdr effect but it needs testing).

Comment

Working...
                              X