Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Differences between content browser tag manager and object tag property ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Tags in the Content Browser are a way of marking assets so they can be filtered and organized.
    Ok,I understand now.

The Tag property of an Object is a way to assign an identifier to that Object.
    I understand that too now,thanks.

For instance, when you have two teleporters and you want one teleporter to send the player to the other teleporter. You give them unique values for their Tag properties and then you set the Destination of one teleporter to the Tag of the other. The code for the teleporter then finds the destination by finding the Object with that Tag, which will be the other teleporter.
    Now,here's the thing.
    Can the "object tags" from the object's properties window also be used with Kismet,without touching UnrealScript ?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    mtcoder pretty much hit the nail on the head. Tags in the Content Browser are a way of marking assets so they can be filtered and organized. The Tag property of an Object is a way to assign an identifier to that Object.

For instance, when you have two teleporters and you want one teleporter to send the player to the other teleporter. You give them unique values for their Tag properties and then you set the Destination of one teleporter to the Tag of the other. The code for the teleporter then finds the destination by finding the Object with that Tag, which will be the other teleporter.

They are in no way related, though conceptually they are similar. Each is a way to filter a group of items. One is for assets in the Content browser. The other is for objects in the game.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I don't think I quite understand yet.
    Let someone else react to my post.
    But thanks for your time anyway,I appreciate the help.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    In the object browser those tags are just for organization.

The tag in the object is by default the type of actor it is. It is more of a classification and if I have read correctly its also usable with the unrealscript, as a property option.

Leave a comment:

• Differences between content browser tag manager and object tag property ?

Hey,

Just to avoid some confusion,what exactly is the difference between the content browser tag manager and the object properties tag ?

Here's what to do first:
    - open the content browser first.
    - to the right of the content browser you see the tag manager.
    - Close the content browser again.

Now here's what to do next:
    - place a light for example in the level.
    - now press F4 or double-click on the light to bring its properties.
    - expand the object category and then you will see there are also "Tag" and "Group" options.
    - Now,how is that different from the content browser tag manager ?
    Or is there no difference at all ?
Working...
X