Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[Solved] How to detect input events in kismet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    thanks, but one last question: When the event input is "catched" by kismet there is no text output to the screen and of course that is fine. But after that (after the kismet processing) whenever I press that key (even if I dont need it anymore) how can I avoid that text? I mean the "console comand:" text.
    By example if I use Enter key to go from menu to in-game (using kismet), but then in-game if I press Enter (and there'll be no kismet for in-game) the text will be sent to screen. Is there a way to clean in-game that bindings?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    In UT2k4 you could even go further with the input:
    Code:
    Mouse5=SwitchWeapon 5|AltFire|OnRelease SwitchToLastWeapon
    This would make me pull the Link Gun (weapon 5), activate the link beam while I hold the button and switch back to the weapon that was active before when I release the side button of my mouse. Very handy.

Don't know how much of this works in UDK, though, as you can also see that it's a different syntax (every key is listed in the INI and you just add the name of the function and the parameter you want to call).

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Two things. One, you should add bindings in DefaultInput.ini or they will be lost if the .ini files get rewritten or when packaging your game. Two, you can chain multiple commands together in a single binding using the | character. That means instead of replacing the existing binding for the key, you can just add ' | causeevent EventName' to the existing binding's Command and it will continue to do what it has always done and also do what you want.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Thanks, it works.
    For those who dont want to follow the link here is the "how to":

Make a bind for the key you want to arise events when pressed (in UDKInput.ini) , like this:
    Code:
    Bindings=(Name="LeftMouseButton",Command="CauseEvent StartGame")
    The 'StartGame' is whatever string you want to use. Then of course you must use that string in kismet to reference the specific "console event" node you add, it must be written in its Console Event Name field.

HOWEVER... the keys used for this may not be available for normal "exec" functions ... at least is what is happening to me, I used the "start fire" key for start the game in the menu map, but when the "in-game" map when pressing that key it wont fire and the text "console comand:" is outputted to the screen...

Leave a comment:

• replied
    This isn't a method for generic key detection, but you can bind a key to cause a console event in Kismet.

http://forums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=762076

I am sure you could create a new Kismet event that outputs keypresses, but that is more complex and requires scripting.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I believe to change controls for PC games, you have to use unreal script and find the player controller file or something to the degree.
    Hope this helps
    Team13

Leave a comment:

• replied
    bump, (I edited the title to make it clearer)

Leave a comment:

• started a topic [Solved] How to detect input events in kismet?

[Solved] How to detect input events in kismet?

I need to be able to use input events but kismet has only (it seems to me) for mobile devices! I only need to catch a "any key pressed" like event. Thanks.
Working...
X