How do you set up your materials

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Hmm yea i think you are right, such a big mesh wont work. Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Multiple textures tiled and lerps. Basically what terrain does with layers.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Definitely seperate your meshes before going any further. This will help performance a lot. I'd also look into using terrain instead of a mesh for your 'floor'.

Leave a comment:

• started a topic How do you set up your materials

How do you set up your materials

Hello,

I dont really got a problem here cause i know how to make my materials and how to put them on my meshes. But i was just wondering how do you people handle big meshes with materials. Like for example you have a big environment which is made in 1 mesh you can make one big texture for your whole mesh, but it will need to have a high resolution for detail so u will get a big filesize. You can separate the parts from your mesh but then sometimes its hard to keep it look like it all belongs together without having like an edge between different objects. Right now im working on some sort of desert kinda environment with rocks. But i was wondering what is the most efficient way to use my materials without using 1 big texture for the whole thing cause i think that ain't gonna work if i want to have detail in it too.

Here's a screenshot from my mesh in the UDK engine, it still a bit rough and without any material but i didnt go there yet cause im thinking of how to do that in a efficient way as a gamedesigner. Maybe anybody knows how it's mostly done in games? Cause now i still have the possibility to easily separate my meshes or uvw maps before i go into further detail.

Working...
X