Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collision Problem shown with AMAZING IN-GAME PICTURES!!!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Collision Problem shown with AMAZING IN-GAME PICTURES!!!

    maybe not so amazing but very illustratives!!!
    the problem is obvious looking at the screenshots, Im using a collision cyllinder but instead the engine seems to be using the bounding box of the cyllinder to perform the actual collision. How can that be deactivated?
    btw the pawn model (the space ship) is a skeletal mesh.
    Thanks for any help or comment.

    Edit: in both images the view is from top and the player is a space ship that should be going from bottom to up (but has been stopped by the collision).


    #2
    hmm you could just be using a little more complex collision? Something like perpoly on skeletalmeshes.

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by UnrealEverything View Post
      hmm you could just be using a little more complex collision? Something like perpoly on skeletalmeshes.
      why? I only want to get rid of the bounding box, and use the cylinder,
      if the cylinder is useless why Mr. Epic put it there?

      Comment


        #4
        Under it's properties, uncheck simple line and box collision.
        Hope this helps
        Team13

        Comment


          #5
          Mr. Epic can be an odd fellow! lol

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by Team13 View Post
            Under it's properties, uncheck simple line and box collision.
            Hope this helps
            Team13
            that is not working. All remains the same.
            could it be a Pawn's property? and not a mesh one?

            Comment


              #7
              The Unreal physics modes, such as PHYS_Walking and PHYS_Flying, use an AABB (Axis-aligned bounding box) to perform collision against the world when moving the Actor. This AABB is usually calculated using the bounds of the CollisionComponent. I don't personally know the best way to solve the issue you are seeing, but it certainly looks like you could pull in the cylinder's radius to more accurately align the AABB used for collision to the bounds of the actual mesh.

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by ffejnosliw View Post
                The Unreal physics modes, such as PHYS_Walking and PHYS_Flying, use an AABB (Axis-aligned bounding box) to perform collision against the world when moving the Actor. This AABB is usually calculated using the bounds of the CollisionComponent. I don't personally know the best way to solve the issue you are seeing, but it certainly looks like you could pull in the cylinder's radius to more accurately align the AABB used for collision to the bounds of the actual mesh.
                What sad news!, I wanted to use the cylinder (indeed I wanted to use a custom mesh, then I discover the box problem) in order to make slide the pawn in some bsp's (like in the snapshots). Scale the cylinder in order to make the box more smaller could be, as you say, but along it would be great to rotate (yaw) the box so a corner stays in the front (then it would be no more an AABB ).

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by ffejnosliw View Post
                  The Unreal physics modes, such as PHYS_Walking and PHYS_Flying, use an AABB (Axis-aligned bounding box) to perform collision against the world when moving the Actor. This AABB is usually calculated using the bounds of the CollisionComponent. I don't personally know the best way to solve the issue you are seeing, but it certainly looks like you could pull in the cylinder's radius to more accurately align the AABB used for collision to the bounds of the actual mesh.
                  If this is true, this is one of the stupidest damned things I've heard for a while. There's no point being able to define a collision component if it's just going to use it's bounds instead.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Ambershee, agreed, I was gobsmacked when I read that. Thank heaven, perpoly collision on the skeletal mesh is an option... I'm going to try the solution from here: http://forums.epicgames.com/showthre...mponent&page=3

                    and here:
                    http://forums.epicgames.com/showthre...isionComponent

                    I'm still new to this, so this post from A_Karimi really helped to clear up my understanding:
                    Skeletal meshes use physics asset for complex collisions, but that usually is not a good idea to use it for collision against world (except few cases like a huge monster which characters can walk between its feet). But if you insists just use:

                    collisionComponent = mesh;

                    And also in the mesh enable blockNonZeroExtents.

                    It's common to use a cylinder as a collision handler against the world, and physics asset as a collision handler against bullets (and other non-zero extents).

                    Comment


                      #11
                      I'd personally say that in this instance it may prove useful to use a physics asset anyway, since we're talking about a one off player object rather than a common object.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by ambershee View Post
                        I'd personally say that in this instance it may prove useful to use a physics asset anyway, since we're talking about a one off player object rather than a common object.
                        Do you know of a tutorial about how to do that?

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X