X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Setting up map for Racing game

hello,

i have been working on a racing game demo for my portfolio,

i have done some basic scripting part now i am moving on to designing the level,

i have chosen a section of expressway from my city, i have got the heightmap DEM for it, but there are some problems i am facing

1. the area is 35 X 35 km, the max size of world terrain in a level is 10km so i have thought of level streaming.
    2. the terrain seems to have some problems,if i reduce the tessellation i loose a good amount of res i need for the terrain if i increase the tessellation i compromise performance

3. there are three tunnels in the section and UDK doesnt seem to have way to achieve this (i hd voxels option in my mind for thisparticular requirment but UDK doesnt have it).

4. so i thought of creating terrain as static mesh in 3d package and then dividing it in four parts and streaming it in levels.

i need ideas and advices on this above points.

is there a way i can achieve this.

Thanks in advance.

No I was just stating my opnion when I was responding to 4. , that's how you would do it if you were to go that route. As stated earlier static meshes are better performance wise- it's just wether your wanting to put that amount of time and effort into the map.

Also 10kmx10km is the max level size, with out level streaming. You can go to 35km as wished, but your going to need to stream alot of levels. You also might want to reconsider the size of your level, because 35km is a huge distance and you might not be able to put decent/good content in the space. Unless you spend an extremely long time on the map.

Hope this helps
    Team13

Comment

so,

now according to it i will make a whole world in a 3d package and then import it in unreal.

one more problem is the scale of the level

the max size of unreal world is 10X10km and my world size is 35X35 km how should i do that

Comment

No I was just stating my opnion when I was responding to 4. , that's how you would do it if you were to go that route. As stated earlier static meshes are better performance wise- it's just wether your wanting to put that amount of time and effort into the map.

Also 10kmx10km is the max level size, with out level streaming. You can go to 35km as wished, but your going to need to stream alot of levels. You also might want to reconsider the size of your level, because 35km is a huge distance and you might not be able to put decent/good content in the space. Unless you spend an extremely long time on the map.

Hope this helps
        Team13

Comment

sdinesh86, are you going to build custom content to fill this area? You have seen my Monaco map, and it is a small fraction of the size of yours, but it took me a F U L L year to make that map. My course is about a 2 1/2 miles around, how far would yours be?

Comment

i have planned a 10X10 km area in which i will have roads with total length of 100-120 kms

something similar to Seacrest City map of NFS Hotpursuit 2010 (It inspired me a lot)

Comment

Originally posted by sdinesh86 View Post
              i have planned a 10X10 km area in which i will have roads with total length of 100-120 kms

something similar to Seacrest City map of NFS Hotpursuit 2010 (It inspired me a lot)
              But remember since the scale of the level is quite big, your going to have to level stream alot. Still the level is extremely big and you might want to reconsider the size.
              Team13

Comment

Working...
              X