Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Custom Collision in .fbx

Hi
    I am trying to export sketchup models with collision model made in SU, using .fbx format, but having some troubles.
    UVs and materials seem to work ok, but I my collision models don't come through.
    I figure something goes wrong in the naming.

Anybody have a small 3Dmax model with a collision which they can export to fbx and post a snippet of how the collision model should look?
    Or even better a pointer to a Sketchup tutorial addressing custom collisions.

(By the way; I have tried HardPCMs ASE export)

much obliged.

Maybe this link will help http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/Colli...ision%20Models

Comment

Thanks Ferret. I have tried to name SU-components according to the collision reference convention, and the nemes turn up in the .fbx-file, but something is apparently wrong because thei don't make it through the udk-import.
      A snippet from a fbx-file that works would do the trick for me.

Comment

here, I uploaded a .fbx and .obj example for you to look at. http://www.filefront.com/17718109/Test.rar

Comment

Originally posted by Sneaky_Ferret View Post
          here, I uploaded a .fbx and .obj example for you to look at. http://www.filefront.com/17718109/Test.rar
          Getting closer !! Could you upload an ascii version of this one?

regards

Comment

just three thoughts, 1) make sure that Ur using the latest fbx exporter for Ur graphics program, 3) Ur collision mesh is one object, and 3) U follow the naming convention in Ur graphics program for Ur collision mesh (UCX_, UBX_, etc).

Just in case

Comment

Actually when I make my collision meshes theyre all seperate objects, and they still work.

Comment

David;
                I Use a fairly new version of SU (8.0.3117), so the fbx-exporter should be up to date.
                I also use the naming conventions you list as SU-"component"-names.
                But I don't know wether that comes out right in the fbx-file. That's why i need a file that works to look at.
                Actually when I make my collision meshes theyre all seperate objects, and they still work.
                Thanks again Ferret;
                I need to use multiple separate collision objects.
                But again; could you post an ascii version of your fbx-file??

Comment

I'm not sure what you mean by ascii , the only definition I know of for ascii is for text art.

Also I sent you a pm earlier asking about that. did it not go through?

Comment

You can have multiple collision meshes for one model. I tested it only with ASE exporter, but it works fine.

For eg. in max name model as "test", then name collision meshes as: UCX_testA, UCX_testB etc, select them all and export selected. It works just fine, but naming of meshes is very important, sometimes udk does not pick up all collision because of typo in name of mesh.

Comment

Heh, I keep it simple in Max (I know, different app).

- Create your model.

- Create boxes around part of models that require collision. Scale-up the collision boxes a bit so they don't touch the model at all but surround it a bit. You can create a lot of collision boxes (and even modify the geometry to match surface they surround) for a model.

- Name collision box/es UCX.
                      Note: You can name them all UCX (I do that & also, easier to keep all collisions in one layer as well).

- Export the model+collision (Edit Mesh modifier for both) in FBX.

Works for everything (I have buildings with rooms and stairs all working just fine so far). Also, UCX works for all and is required for complicated collisions. I don't bother with anything else (that UDN guide was helpful for this of course).

Comment

I'm not sure what you mean by ascii , the only definition I know of for ascii is for text art.

Also I sent you a pm earlier asking about that. did it not go through?
                        Haven't senn no pm asking about ascii (i.e. text)
                        Right. Is it possible for you to export your fbx-file as a text-file? This is the way it is wxported from Sketchup. Then I can compare and see where I go wrong.

Comment

Working...
                        X