Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

can Kismet detect what's in the player's crosshairs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

can Kismet detect what's in the player's crosshairs?

is it possible to use Kismet to detect a static mesh in the player's crosshairs and return the name of the object and the location vector? It would seem that then I could put in a console command to perform actions on the mesh, or spawn another mesh, based on the location returned......?

Yes, you can set a trigger to activate when the player looks at it. From there, you can tell it to do whatever. The Eat3d Kismet dvd covers this in detail.

Comment

I'll see if I can find that, but I'm not sure if that will exactly work the way I want it to. What I have is a grid of static meshes all stacked together in a block, not unlike Minecraft. What I want to do is have the player's crosshair detect which of those meshes is in target at the time, and be able to add/change/delete based on that mesh's location. So, I'm not sure if what you suggest would be quite right for what I want to do, but I am open to suggestions. It seems that if there was an event of some sort that could read which mesh is in target at any time, and put its name and location into a temporary variable, I could perform add/change/delete actions based on that. Maybe I just don't understand enough about Kismet to know that I have to use UnrealScript for this?

Comment

The Trace action should be able to do what you want, but I would probably recommend using UnrealScript for implementing things like this. Global gameplay mechanics should be done in UnrealScript. Level-specific gameplay events are well-suited to Kismet. What you are doing certainly seems like a global gameplay mechanic.

Anyway, here is an example of using the Trace action for such a purpose:

http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/Kisme...ismet%20Weapon

Comment

The Trace action should be able to do what you want, but I would probably recommend using UnrealScript for implementing things like this. Global gameplay mechanics should be done in UnrealScript. Level-specific gameplay events are well-suited to Kismet. What you are doing certainly seems like a global gam play mechanic.

Anyway, here is an example of using the Trace action for such a purpose:

http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/Kisme...ismet%20Weapon

Comment

Working...
          X