"UDK for Playstation 3",why not ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"UDK for Playstation 3",why not ?

Unreal Tournament 3 shipped with the Unreal Editor,and you could make modifications for the Playstation 3.

Why can't UDK be "also" for the Playstation 3 ?
    Is there some license issue with Sony Interactive ?

You'd have to be able to package a game for PS3, that is not possible without Sony's SDK. UDK doesn't include that SDK, so you can only package for PC.
    Even if it did have that SDK, you would need a PS3 devkit to test on, but for one of those you need money and approval by Sony.

Comment

Also, given that Sony will only sell those to companies with demonstrable financial backing, there's no point offering UDK, as these companies would be working with licensed Unreal 3.

Comment

Yes it would be cool to have it deploy to ps3, but to sell or even test it you would probably need developers hardware and sonys sdk which btw costs alot. So having udk deploy to ps3 is pretty useless as no one could use it.

Comment

When are console developers gonna get the hint, i mean, Microsoft kind of gets it with allowing you to deploy on xbox using XNA, but their indie support and licensing department has to expand eventually! Then again, i never thought i would be downloading Unreal for free, so who knows!

Comment

Maybe it will be a surprise.

Comment

Originally posted by PrimitivePatriot View Post
              When are console developers gonna get the hint, i mean, Microsoft kind of gets it with allowing you to deploy on xbox using XNA, but their indie support and licensing department has to expand eventually! Then again, i never thought i would be downloading Unreal for free, so who knows!
              It's also called quality control. They're trying to keep the overall quality of their market high and keep garbage out.

If a games market is suddenly full of a lot of awful titles, people will stop buying from that market and avoiding the risk of purchasing a dud and a lack of faith. You can see this happening right now with the Nintendo DS and the PSP, as well as looking back at events in the past (This caused the whole games industry to crash only twenty years ago).

Comment

They should still allow you to cook levels for PS3 without purchasing UT3 for PC also.

What I don't get is with the ps3 you can import custom models make new weapons and everything else shouldn't you be able to make a total conversion for the PS3 UT3? I know you can't get it to run standalone due to not having the Playstation SDK and I could never afford that anyway lol. But shouldn't you be able to mod UT3 on PS3 to make it feel like a new game? Granted I know you cant do anything with changing the menu options on the PS3 but couldn't you make a series of levels that connect and you could just do lan play and AI if you intend it to be played as a single player total conversion?

Comment

Working...
                X