No announcement yet.

Tessellation Factors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well then I am very happy about this lol, can't wait for the post.

Comment

Im trying to get this to work, too.

Comment

Though one of my questions is am I going to have to move back to a previous version of UDK to get the DX11 tessellation to work? I realize that the option to enable DX11 is still there and the tessellation factors node is still in place but the D3D11 dropdown menu is no longer there...

Comment

Originally posted by pulse0o0 View Post
          Though one of my questions is am I going to have to move back to a previous version of UDK to get the DX11 tessellation to work? I realize that the option to enable DX11 is still there and the tessellation factors node is still in place but the D3D11 dropdown menu is no longer there...
          You would have to go back to the November build of the UDK but I have been testing this to see if it will work and it sadly does not. As it turns out I mistakenly used the wrong version of UDK to test this out. I have been working on a tech demo for a company which uses the November version of the UDK to showcase some of their work and I got their version and the public version mixed up while playing around with some things. For whatever reason the two version must be a bit different but I was assured that the two version where the same so I am not sure why this does not work in the Public version of the UDK.

But I am sure that in the future Epic will release this feature in the near future and when they do I will put up my tutorial on how I did this as there is no reason giving you guys something to try out just so you can find out that it does not work. I am truly sorry for getting your hopes up about this guys

Comment

so in the recent January release, they still haven't included the tessellation feature?

Comment

Originally posted by pulse0o0 View Post
              I have seen the d3d11 options in the config and *.uc files, however, when I set them to true, the dropdown menu still does not appear in the editor. Does anyone know what the alternative to mtm_notessellation is? because I can set the defaultproperties of the materials.uc to that and maybe that might get it working.

Comment

The dropdown menu only appears when <bShowOnlyWhenTrue=bShowD3D11Properties> is deleted - but tessellation doesn't work, so it must be something to do with a d3d11 property not activated. There is also a tessellation.usf, flattessellation.usf and pntriangles.usf in the shaders folder. I have seen that activating the mtm_flattessellation does do something to the wireframe - so it must be something to do with udk not recognising that I have d3d11. I've done the unigine heaven test to confirm that my dx11 and tessellation do work.

Comment

Originally posted by glra2222 View Post
                  The dropdown menu only appears when <bShowOnlyWhenTrue=bShowD3D11Properties> is deleted - but tessellation doesn't work, so it must be something to do with a d3d11 property not activated. There is also a tessellation.usf, flattessellation.usf and pntriangles.usf in the shaders folder. I have seen that activating the mtm_flattessellation does do something to the wireframe - so it must be something to do with udk not recognising that I have d3d11. I've done the unigine heaven test to confirm that my dx11 and tessellation do work.
                  Its not that the nodes don't work its that the UDK for some reason is not loading the Shader model 5.0 shader cache when you enable the flag to use D3D 11 in the UDKEngine.INI. If you launch the editor with the log running you will see that it will always load the shader cache for DX 9.0 and DX 10.0 but it for some reason does not load the DX 11.0 shader cache and this is what is causing the issues.

Comment

Well I guess all we can do at this point is just wait. Though I do hope the full functionality is done soon would be quite fun to work with.

Comment

I cannot begin to tell you how much I want tessellation to work. I'd love to have full support in the next build. Mobile support is good and all, but it's not really what I'm interested in at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by |*BILLY$CLINT*| View Post
                        Its not that the nodes don't work its that the UDK for some reason is not loading the Shader model 5.0 shader cache when you enable the flag to use D3D 11 in the UDKEngine.INI. If you launch the editor with the log running you will see that it will always load the shader cache for DX 9.0 and DX 10.0 but it for some reason does not load the DX 11.0 shader cache and this is what is causing the issues.
                        thanks, now I understand exactly where the problem is coming from. If you had a build that worked with it (despite it not being public), then I think its possible to get it to load dx11. There has to be a command somewhere in the code.

[edit]
                        One thing I noticed - the log it mentions something like ..-D3D-SM3.
                        In the recent January release - there is only *SM3.upk files. However, in the November build, there are the additional *SM4 and *SM5 Cache files.

[edit again]
                        Okay, so I noticed that when I set the d3d10 to true as well, it will show up with 'found d3d11 adapter 0' and then 'fuond d3d10 adapter 0', however after that it's only 'shader platform <RHI>: pc-d3d-sm4.

I also noticed that the Content folder has globalshadercach-pc-d3d-sm5.bin, refshadercache-pc-d3d-sm5.upk, but no localshadercache-pc-d3d-sm5.upk.

Comment

I also noticed that the Content folder has globalshadercach-pc-d3d-sm5.bin, refshadercache-pc-d3d-sm5.upk, but no localshadercache-pc-d3d-sm5.upk.
                          The local shader cache is the shader cache is the one that gets compiled when you load the editor locally. This is so that the global shader cache does not get bloated with shader;s that are not actually in use.

Comment

so in the recent January release, they still haven't included the tessellation feature?
                            They included it but it does not seam to work.

Comment

Since the March UDK has DX 11 tessellation working I will release the shader that I made that makes use of it.

Comment

Originally posted by |*BILLY$CLINT*| View Post
                                Since the March UDK has DX 11 tessellation working I will release the shader that I made that makes use of it.
                                Great, but the only thing is that in the march build you cannot set material flags to use tessellation, so you have to do it in the november build and reimport into the march one for it to work. At least for me, anyway.

Comment

Working...
                                X