Tessellation Factors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tessellation Factors

I have been trying out different things but I am just not sure what to put into this node whether it be a normal map with something added or a complex array of constants and vectors I know it is not simply a normal map as I have added this and it hasn't worked and it is neither a height map so if anyone has an idea that would be great.

Ok, I am judging this based on 5 minutes of quick inspection as I haven't had a chance to find out about this feature officially. So take it with a grain of salt and rest assured we will have complete documentation of it in the near future on UDN.

That input takes in a 2-component vector I believe (X and Y, or R and G...however you want to look at it). The first component defines the tessellation factor for the edges and the second component defines the tessellation factor for the interior. It should also require the D3D11TessellationMode property of the base Material node (in the D3D11 section) to be set to something other than MTM_NoTessellation. Most importantly, it only works if your video card supports DirectX 11.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. Hopefully I can get this working now.

Comment

Ahh now I am reaching another road block when I recompile the texture and try to apply it to my object it says to check the log as it has failed to apply. In the log it says missing shader map sorry if I am such a bother I am not adept in the material editor and am just trying to find my way along.

Comment

Is the dx11 tessellation feature limited to any object or material ? or does it change all objects on the screen ? and does anyone have any Tessellation screenshots from this latest November 2010 UDK , I tried messin' with the numbers but I could'nt see any visible changes. And I do have a GTX470 wich is Direct-x 11 Compliant so no problem there.

Comment

Originally posted by DigitalDemolition View Post
            Is the dx11 tessellation feature limited to any object or material ? or does it change all objects on the screen ? and does anyone have any Tessellation screenshots from this latest November 2010 UDK , I tried messin' with the numbers but I could'nt see any visible changes. And I do have a GTX470 wich is Direct-x 11 Compliant so no problem there.
            I beleive you have to enable DX11 in an .ini config file somewhere.. UDK defaults to DX9 I beleive.

Comment

Yes Kazeo you have to switch Allow D3D11=False to True in the BaseEngine.ini found in the Config Folder of the Engine folder.
              And DigitalDemolition I don't think it would be limited to anything and I know it would be a great help for terrain tessellation if it isn't limited but I still don't entirely get the setup for the factors I hope the Documentation comes up soon.

Comment

yeah I agree there should be some docs , I set d3d11 to true then attempted to mess with the values, I looked at all the vertexes in wireframe and they were still spread apart the same, that's how I know tessellation was not working because none of the vertexes were crunched.maybe the tessellation instructions are not implemented in this version ?

Comment

They are there I am just not entirely sure how to use them as I was messing around with it one day and I got something to happen but the UDK crashed and I can't remember what I did just hope the documentation comes out soon.

Comment

It looks that they removed D3D11 section in the Material Base node, but TesselationFactor input is still there.
                    Hopefully we'll get it back with some documentation on DX11 in January.

Comment

Yeah really hoping to see what happens.

Comment

Originally posted by ffejnosliw View Post
                        Ok, I am judging this based on 5 minutes of quick inspection as I haven't had a chance to find out about this feature officially. So take it with a grain of salt and rest assured we will have complete documentation of it in the near future on UDN.

That input takes in a 2-component vector I believe (X and Y, or R and G...however you want to look at it). The first component defines the tessellation factor for the edges and the second component defines the tessellation factor for the interior. It should also require the D3D11TessellationMode property of the base Material node (in the D3D11 section) to be set to something other than MTM_NoTessellation. Most importantly, it only works if your video card supports DirectX 11.
                        Your advice helped me to get the following results. Please keep in mind that I am still testing all this stuff out but its still pretty cool never the less.

Comment

Now I doubt your willing to share with us what exactly you did to achieve the tessellation. Especially since he already mentioned how to do it but I am still not understanding this completely.

Comment

Originally posted by pulse0o0 View Post
                            Now I doubt your willing to share with us what exactly you did to achieve the tessellation. Especially since he already mentioned how to do it but I am still not understanding this completely.
                            I would be more than willing to share my shader setup with you all but I don't have time tonight as I am going to be busy after work. When I get a chance I will post up what I did to get it working.

Comment

Wow impressive it actually works.
                              I though something there might be broken since it's been removed from Dec and Jan build.

Comment

Working...
                              X