Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Level Design Functionality Problem. Help needed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Level Design Functionality Problem. Help needed.

Hey all,

We are two students studying games design and are currently undergoing our pre-production phase for our final major project, for our 3rd and final year of studies. We are developing it using the UDK and would much appreciate all the help and guidance we could get into understanding some of the functionalities, tools and procedures that the UDK has to offer. Of course, we too will contribute our own knowledge towards forums also.

Here is the current problem we are struggling to solve at the moment;

Imagine a Rubix cube, we need to turn one of the sections of the rubix cube around on a timed basis, so in other words the movement is triggered by a timer. Is this possible to replicate in UDK and if so how?

Thanking you in anticipation.

Grinding4Rupees.

I think the easiest way to do that would be with matinee. Make a matinee that spins the cube and make it loop. Since Matinee is keyframe controlled, you can have large pauses between movements.

As long as it's on a steady timer and the movements are predictable, that should work.

Comment

Originally posted by Wyldhunt View Post
      I think the easiest way to do that would be with matinee. Make a matinee that spins the cube and make it loop. Since Matinee is keyframe controlled, you can have large pauses between movements.

As long as it's on a steady timer and the movements are predictable, that should work.
      thats probably the simplest way to go about it, and on top of that you might have to animate all of the blocks in the rubixs cube separately in the Matinee editor, because technically you cant have each block be grouped and just rotate them, they would have to be prefabs to all move at once. But at the same time if they are prefabs they can not be broken down into separate pieces.

Solution:
      Animate all of the blocks seperately in matinee, as one animation per block with long pauses for times when blocks arent moving. Select the loop checkbox in the matinee sequence. Then set the matinee sequence to continue upon level start.

As far as the Rubix cube specifically, i feel like scrapping my eyelids off imagining doing that all within the unreal editor. A less painful way IMHO would be to animate the rubix cube, rigged, and textured, in Maya, 3ds, or whatever 3d program and import everything already completed in your 3d software program into udk, then click the loop check box in the animation sequence window (double click on skeletal mesh in content browser.)

Hopefully that helped as far as how to do all of those things, there are some great tutorials out there, i recommend this one for animation sequences.
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeExZi0pHZ8
      As far as properly exporting things thats another story but i'd be happy to help you with that as well

Comment

Working...
      X