Terrain Material Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Terrain Material Question

Sorry if this is a stupid question, I am new to the UDK, but why would my custom material that i created (an instance of a master material, just with a different diffuse texture) not have the specular/normal maps when used as a terrain material? but when i apply it to a brush it works fine.

i also notice some default UDK materials do work as a terrain material even with spec/norm maps. any help is appreciated, and below is a screen shot of it. on the left is a brush with the material applied and it looks how i want. on the right is the terrain.

also after i do a full build there is this error: "TERRAIN MATERIAL: Texture parameter name duplication - Diffuse" and "TERRAIN MATERIAL: Texture parameter name duplication - Normal", but i doubt these errors are the problem.

There's an option in the layer setup to turn terrain normal and specular mapping on I believe. Or it might be in the light settings.

I know there's an option you need to tick somewhere. The name is really obvious, so when you see it, you know it's the one.

Comment

I seen you can enable specular in the terrain properties, and that worked, but i don't see anywhere you can enable the normal map. anyways it turned out to be my material.

my detail normal map is disabled by default in the parent (master) material by a parameter. and even though i have it enabled in my material instance that the terrain uses, and it works on brushes, it will not show up on terrain.

might be a bug, might be something i am doing wrong still, not sure.

and my other error was just a duplicate material parameter name of course. anyways thanks for your time Graylord

Comment

Terrains and switches don't work.
        I made a post about it a while back here: http://forums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=747568

Normal parameters 'can' work with terrain material instances, but keep in mind that every parameter of the same name will be assigned the same value. That is true for every material used on the entire terrain. So, if you have a parameter named Diffuse so that you can choose the diffuse material and you use that material on 2 layers... Both layers will use the same diffuse as the first parameter that UDK notices on the terrain.

Comment

Originally posted by Wyldhunt View Post
          Terrains and switches don't work.
          I made a post about it a while back here: http://forums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=747568

Normal parameters 'can' work with terrain material instances, but keep in mind that every parameter of the same name will be assigned the same value. That is true for every material used on the entire terrain. So, if you have a parameter named Diffuse so that you can choose the diffuse material and you use that material on 2 layers... Both layers will use the same diffuse as the first parameter that UDK notices on the terrain.
          ahh i understand it now. thanks for the info!

Comment

Working...
          X