Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

House Interior Process

Hi,

I'm new in regards to UDK, but not with 3D in general - 3DS Max, Maya, ZBrush and the like. However, making a building for a project of my own, I was wanting to put in a real-time engine. Is it possible to make the whole building, items and such and then drag it into UDK, or should it be made in parts - walls for themselves, doors, items? Also, are there any texture size restrictions that would be good to be aware of?

Thanks, and hopefully the questions make sense.

HL

you can't export a whole max/maya scene at once. you should divide your house+interior in different parts, and make sure every part is on the grid.

Texture size limit is 4096.

Comment

Great. Do you or anyone know of any tutorial(s) on this - for buildings in general? I'm making a smaller environment for my demo reel and would like to do this the right way.

One other thing: would it be a problem having several larger (4096) textured objects, or will it slow down too much? I'm thinking the walls would at least have to be that size per wall.

Thanks again.

HL

Comment

This isn't really one tutorial for buildings for unreal, but the only thing you really want to make sure of is that everything is on the grid.

here is a tutorial so you can sync maya to unreal units http://www.worldofleveldesign.com/ca...or-unreal3.php . If you are using max, look at youtube, it's there somewhere.

Also make sure the pivot is in the left bottom of the mesh and in the center of the axis (0,0,0) when you export a mesh.

I think 4096 is way to high to use in a game. I always use 2048 for walls and other big meshes, with details maps and normal/spec you can get decent results. But that's another subject. Look for tutorials on materials, there's a bunch below.

http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/UDKCommunityLinks.html

Comment

Working...
        X