White Pixels at Edges of Cloth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

White Pixels at Edges of Cloth

Hello there, I'm having a small issue where white pixels show up around the edges of cloth when viewed from a distance. This happens regardless of whether or not the cloth is animating.

I've seen such things before when dealing with Opacity Masks, but I am using no such thing with my cloth. The edges you see are the edges of the mesh and the textures in the material extend beyond the UV. It is rather unsightly and I am wondering if anyone has any idea as to what could be causing this.

The pixels themselves are not stationary, they disappear and shift as I change perspectives and as the cloth animates.

The issue you're describing sounds very much like the same issue I get on some of my terrains. While running around my terrain levels I see the very same shifting white pixels off in the distance.
    Unfortunately, I haven't been able to work out why it's happening, so maybe some of the experts on these forums could help out.

Comment

If your bringing the model out of max run the STL check modifier, I think you might have open edges. When speed modeling i some times leave open edge's and when I run udk in DX10 i get sparkling edges that flash all colors once I turn on Anti aliaseing.

Comment

I'm using Maya and wouldn't a planar always have open edges? I'm not actually familiar with the term.

Comment

Can you show your texture map applied to this model?. Just a low res version. Just wanna confirm if my theory is correct, possibly being a mip mapping issue.

Comment

Hey, sorry, I was away for a few days and wasn't able to get you these, the UV and the diffuse/color map.

Comment

Actually, I have learned that UDK may drag in some texture info as it "LOD's" the textures, so you might want to have the texture cover a tiny bit outside of the UVspace.

I also notice you have left no space along the edges, which should be done.

(Not really relevant to the problem, but the UVmap could also use a lot of optimization. You are using what? 1/5th of the texture?)

Comment

Edit: Post just too late but same answer applies. The UV is pretty wasteful but I assume you're gonna map more stuff in there.

I think the problem is that your UV sits in the very edge at the bottom. Move it up by 2 maybe 4 pixels or so and update the texture accordingly. If that does not fix it 100% then make sure to give about extra 2 pixels around the edges with red so the mip map does not bleed white into the red on a mapped area.

Edit 2: Just wanna add that, to explain the problem better, what's happening is the top pixels from your texture is getting mapped back down at the bottom, which is what creates the white edge you see in your first shot. Fix as I described above. Adding a bit of padding is also a good idea to do anyway since your colors there... red/white is so much contrast that the mip map will blend very light outer edge. It won't be as bad as the pure white edge but still won't be 100% correct either.

Comment

Ahh, I didn't think about the texture wrapping. I feel kind of foolish now... I'll have to give that a try.

Yeah, I'm aware of the wasteful space, in all honesty, this was nothing more than a test, and it actually looks pretty good in game. I could mess around and angle the UV 45 degrees to improve resolution a bit, but as it stands, I didn't feel the need. The difference would hardly be noticeable at all due to the simplicity in the texture.

Comment

Just a suggestion but this kind of thing can also be mapped on a long texture, like 512x256 or 512x128. So you use full UV space but less memory than a full square texture.

Comment

Good point on using a wider/shorter texture, I'll do that.

As for your suggestion, at first it didn't seem to solve anything.... But I filled in the rest of the white with red and the problem went away, so it has something to do with wrapping.

Anyways thanks for the help and the advice. Much appreciated.

Comment

Working...
                      X