Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Autodownload new maps - why are maps so big?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Autodownload new maps - why are maps so big?

I was really happy that UDK has autodownload function implemented... but... problem is big maps... ex. VCTF-Necropolis.udk - 90MB ... why? all materials, actors, textures, ... are packed in map file? Is there some kind of option make only "symbolic links" to "base" level... or some way how to make maps smaller (bytes), but not by making it smaller - ingame size ?

Lightmaps for all surfaces are inside the map file for example, and I think that takes most of the space.

Comment

7zip is able to compress the 90 MB of Necropolis down to 20 MB.

But I don't get what exactly is your question? I never noticed an auto-download (you mean an automatic update? I always load the full exe from here).

If you're worried about pushing custom maps online to players of your game: The UCC can compress and decompress Unreal's files into the UZ3 format that can be send by servers and is automatically received by clients. It has a pretty good compression rate.

Comment

I think the guy means auto map download on server setup (like in CSS) when all the assets can be baked direct into the map file for distibution so when online you don't have to download all the seperate assets but only the map file. But did'nt realise that UDK had added asset baking into map files

Comment

Working...
        X